Why you should drive slower on icy roads

351CFalcon

Supporting Member
A good example of driving too fast for the conditions.
The end result is unfortunate and not the wanted outcome.

http://rmirror.net/r/videos/comments/q5hu9/car_accident_nsfl/

This video reminded me of a similar situation I found myself in back in the winter of 1974/1975.

While returning from Lake Louise in my '64 Impala SS with big honking snow tires, road conditions were slightly worse. I decided for some stupid reason at the time to pass a slower vehicle doing 15KPH, I was passing at 25 KPH or a little more. No one was really speeding as the roads were that bad. As I was passing, the back end came loose, it kissed the front bumper of the car I was passing. I managed to get control of the SS and got it stopped a ways down the road.
The other car went into a snow bank. There was a big cement mixer behind me at the time and he slowed to a stop. We managed to pull the other car out of the snow bank. No injuries and minimal damage to both vehicles but it sure taught me a valuable lesson. There was very little traffic on the road that day too.

Last edited:
That's a sobering video. Things sure happen fast. :(

With the roads being slightly wet and the temperature hovering around freezing this morning I decided to take it easy on my way to work, but clearly not everyone thinks that way. I was southbound on 84th Street (essentially a two-lane country road really, no lighting to speak of, narrow shoulders and very steep ditches) when someone in a minivan passed about 3 cars as a gravel truck was approaching. Instead of ducking back in after passing 1 or 2 (pretty sure that passing isn't actually permitted there, but whatever) he decided to go all-in and barely avoided cutting me off as he passed, and he seemed to only narrowly miss the truck too.

All so he could beat me to the light at 84th and Glenmore by a few seconds. :rolleyes:

Gotta keep your head on a swivel out there, as they say...

Wow!
I had a similar thing happen to me. I say happen to me but I was the cause of it because I was going too fast for the road conditions. Coming home from Kamloops on the Coquihalla March 15th 2009. Half way between Merritt and Hope a gust of wind caught me (F150, unloaded) started the fishtail before 3 spins and over the edge into a tree. I was unaware that I had been driving on an inch of ice. I remember thinking as I was going around in circles that a truck or another car could be coming along and not be able to avoid me.
Fortunately, not too many other fools on the road that day.

That video sends chills down my spine. I can only hope there wasn't more than one life inside that vehicle.

Yes things can go horribly wrong in a blink of a eye. I hate the fact people with 4x4 don’t actually use it, I am not saying to keep going normally, but it is there to assist with traction. Also a good set of winter tires are worth every penny.

It remind me of a time when it was dark out leaving Hixon heading to PG, I was following a ¾ Dodge 4x4 who thought it would be a good time to give it some gas as he left a bridge and started up a hill. One second I see taillights and the next second I am staring at his headlights. I tried the brakes and the ABS went crazy also noticing a little car behind me and thought I know I can probably stop, but the guy behind probably will not. So after gauging the Big dodge’s rear was going towards the guard rail while still going backwards at a good rate, I decided that with the 3 lanes and no oncoming traffic I would go into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting either vehicle. As I passed the big Dodge he was were perpendicular to me. All I remember thinking was get out of here quick and I hope the ice does no suddenly end as I am sure he would have flipped the truck many times. I still remember watching in the rear view mirror to make sure nothing serious happened to either vehicle.

Yeah, I saw this video a few weeks ago and true, the big SUVs think they are king with their big tires and 4 wheel drive. "I can go through anything!" It's true, but at lower speeds - high speeds + wide tires + heavy slush = :eek::eek::eek:

I've been pulled toward the ditch a few times over the years in various full size Broncos with moderate 10.5 x 31 tires - never went in the ditch, but at speed, in slush, steering input does very little for you until the truck slows enough to stop the hydroplaning.

Last edited:
That is a classic case of driving with cruise control on. Vehicle encounters a slight grade and gives a little more throttle to maintain speed, rear wheels break loose, vehicle slows even more so cruise control gives more throttle and it gets really bad really fast. Never ever use cruise control on any road thats even slightly icy. Yes it happened to me, and I ended up on the opposite side of the highway facing backwards. At least if you are controlling the throttle and the rear breaks loose your natural reaction is to at least lift your foot off the gas to help alleviate the problem. However if you are travelling too fast there is no hope.

That is a classic case of driving with cruise control on. Vehicle encounters a slight grade and gives a little more throttle to maintain speed, rear wheels break loose, vehicle slows even more so cruise control gives more throttle and it gets really bad really fast. Never ever use cruise control on any road thats even slightly icy.

Good point about electronic cruise control. If on the hwy during the winter, I never use it. In fact, even in the summer, I find I'm not using it as much anymore in the daily driver.

Of course, the only cruise control in the HRT is my right foot.

yup seen that one and no sence hoping any one in the little vehicle made it out ok gotta be sickening to watch some thing like that live!!

Years ago I was driving from TBay to Winnipeg with my dad, a 1970 SS454 Maibu past us going around a corner between two rock cuts going extremely fast, he made it as no one was coming the other way. Two corners later, the Malibu was lodged under the rear wheels of a transport in the other direction in very similar shape as the video. We waited for the OPP, and assured the driver of the Transport who was unhurt but very shaken as we were. We gave our statement to the officer when he arrived and continued on, very shaken. Later in the news we found out that five construction workers were killed in that collision. A stupid loss of life. To this day I will never forget that scene.