PG Mill explosion and fire.

Riekie-Armstrong

Just seeing this on the news tonight. They say 16 hurt but no extent of injuries given and still some workers missing. I hope no one has lost their life there tonight and all the workers are found safe.

Huge fire by the looks on the late news .. Hope the firefighters are all carefull and safe , Go Mikey Holliday ,,get them flames out...

That is terrible, I hope Dougie is alright and they find the missing workers safe. That is the sort of thing that costs folks their jobs. I hope all injured recover fully.

News has it John all workers are accounted for.
21 of the 25 workers at the sawmill were treated in hospital with injuries ranging from minor to critical.
Some are in PG Hospital, some rushed to Vanc. via helicopter.

Interesting I tuned in to Canadianrodder at 6:30 am today to learn of this fire.
Then my wife went out and got the newspaper.........

The mill can be rebuilt, but the human tragedy will be signifigant........
I'll be thinking of them all..

I just saw this on the morning news, terrible thing to happen!

I'm hearing all missing are accounted for but some have fairly serious injurys and transported down to the lower mainland....

Whoa! That's one big mo' fire!!! Their fire hoses looked like the equivalent of squirt guns on a bon-fire. I hope everyone recovers quickly - all burns suck!

They are now saying one fatality.
I don't wish harm on anyone, and i hope none of our friends on the board are involved in this awfull fire either.
Seems to be a lot of these explosions and fires lately.

The guy next door is one of the 3 in vancover . He has 2nd and 3rd degree burns. My wife took his wife to airport this afternoon. She did not even know how bad he is. I guess it is hard to give out info when you have that amount hurt. The mill is paying for all cost for the familys to go down and stay with them.

That is so hard. I sincerely hope that he will be okay. I am a 3rd degree burn surviver myself. It's a long road of healing. Most people think that 1st. degree burns are the worst but 2nd is deeper than 1st and 3rd is all the way and of course the worst. VGH has an excellent burn unit and he will get the best care available there. Hugs and best wishes to his wife. She will need support through this too.

I have noticed the PTP have been very quiet, i would imagine everyone knows somebody effected by this fire.
Wish all the best to everybody concerned by this awfull event.

You are right, Brian......we are all kinda holding back and waiting and watching. That mill has a history with me....several friends used to work there and for about 30 years, the local PG Alpine Ski team has cut firewood there for deliveries in the fall as a fundraiser. Have spent many a weekend
in the log yard splitting and loading wood. The mill would organize Birch to be hauled in from logging sites. Very cooperative.
I always told visitors to the city that the mill should have been featured in Better Homes and Gardens magazine. It was always tidy and pristine and is surrounded by manicured grass and nice trees. Not a thing out of place.....
even the log yard piles are neat and tidy and organized..
It was featured in a Discovery Channel ( I think) documentary about 6-8 years ago and was called "Lakeland Blues" because the finished lumber ends were painted blue and a segment of the US market preferred this product.

Last edited: