Registering a Car in Ontario Purchased with a Bill of Sale

Speedy Canuck

Supporting Member
There have been a couple of threads in the past, but I figured I'd update based on my own recent experiences.

I purchased a 1929 Ford Model A last spring, but the purchase was done with a Bill of Sale only. The previous owner didn't have the title, and in this case, it had never been registered in Canada after being imported.

After doing a ton of reading, and getting confusing/wrong/differing advise from different MTO staff, I finally sorted out the process. At the end of the day, it's really rather simple.

First off, I confirmed with the MTO that the VIN was clean and clear, before I purchased the car. In this case, the MTO was not able to find the VIN at all in their database.

Second, after purchasing, I had an appraisal done on the car. Not a full appraisal, but rather just an MTO appraisal. It cost me $45 dollars for him to come to me to see the car. He stated the value based on my Bill of Sale.

Third, I had to write up an Affidavit with details about the car. I based mine on a template I found on another website, and have included my revised template below. Sections in brackets can be changed for your own needs, or provide advise...

(DATE)

This is an Affidavit for Vehicle Registration.

On (PURCHASE DATE), I purchased a (YEAR, MAKE, and MODEL). Information about the vehicle is outlined below:

Year - (YEAR)

Make - (MAKE)

Model - (MODEL)

VIN - (VIN)

Colour - (COLOUR or PRIMER COLOUR)

Odometer Reading - (ODOMETER READING)

The vehicle was purchased from (SELLER'S NAME) of (CITY and PROVINCE) without ownership for the sum of (PURCHASE PRICE) CAD, making me the legal and rightful owner. (<- THIS SENTENCE IS NECESSARY)

It is unknown to me where and when the vehicle was last registered. (<- CHANGE AS NEEDED) Supporting documents for previous vehicle ownership are unavailable as (SELLER'S NAME) stated, on (PURCHASE DATE) that he had purchased the vehicle without ownership from another party. He could not recall the name of the previous seller. (<- CHANGE AS NEEDED) Through this process of buying and selling, the vehicle had never been registered by any of the owners.

(SELLER'S NAME) had never gone through the process of transferring the ownership into his name as the vehicle was not road worthy and (SELLER'S NAME) had no intentions of ever making it road worthy. (<- CHANGE AS NEEDED)

Signed,

(SIGNATURE)

(NAME)
(STREET ADDRESS)
(CITY and PROVINCE)
(POSTAL CODE)
(ISSUING PROVINCE) Driver's License Number - (Driver's License Number)

Once you have this affidavit drawn up, you will need to have it stamped and signed by a Commissioner of Oaths. **This is different than having it notarized!** I have a legal friend who is a Commissioner who was able to stamp it for me, though I'm sure you would be able to easily contact a law office and find someone with is a Commissioner to do it. I have heard that MTO clerks are Commissioners as well, but cannot confirm that.

With the appraisal in one hand, and the stamped affidavit in the other, I went into the MTO, paid the taxes due and registered the vehicle in my name. At the time, the MTO clerk asked me what colour and engine size the car would eventually be (green, and V8), and listed that instead of what the car currently is (primer orange and engineless). The Vehicle Permit (green slip) reflects the VIN on the frame of the car, and lists it as a 1929 Ford Model A. The only 'difference' is that it is listed as a CV (convertible) as there is no designation in the system for a Phaeton or Roadster.

Easy peasy!