55 IH Cabover build

haha I haven't actually built the cover for it yet as it is the air filter cover.

Well got the rear part of the steering going and drove it around the shop a little the system works great.Would have pictures but the cell phone took such crappy pictures. On a side note I did find my camera lol

So I started smoothing out the dash.

30.jpg

31.jpg

Next was getting the heater box in I have an old van outside and the heater box looked usable on it for this project.

Everything ready to cut
32.jpg

33.jpg

First of a bunch of cuts and a test fit
34.jpg

35.jpg

Fitting the front blower unit.
36.jpg

The inside.
37.jpg

With dash.
38.jpg

Also started setting up the battery box.
39.jpg

You say you got it steering around the shop, any pics of the steering joints mated together and are they then mated to a steering box ?
I was trying to picture it in my head as to how they'd work, I think I got it figured.

Great job there, something to consider while you can still get at it easily and that is perhaps consider putting a new core in the heater and then you will never have to worry about it again. Whenever I do a rebuild where there is a heater I always do that core while I can get at them. It can be a real prick later if it spils water on the floor etc.

wow your really gittin after it .good work keep the pictures comming, I am really enjoying this build

I'll try and get some pictures tonight for ya it's a long setup pretty much a big Z to the steering box.

You say you got it steering around the shop, any pics of the steering joints mated together and are they then mated to a steering box ?
I was trying to picture it in my head as to how they'd work, I think I got it figured.

Well got lots done this past week.

Made a cover for the hole in the floor where my air cleaner is from an old road sign. Think the one I chose is fitting for the motor and overall of the vehicle and all lol

Mark up to cut the outside ring off.
41.jpg

After a little work on the E-wheel
42.jpg

43.jpg

Kinda don't want to cover it up now when I get to doing the flooring haha
44.jpg

Next up was I needed a fuel filler and had to fix some rust at the same time.
45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Lower patch
48.jpg

All finished up for now
49.jpg

Next was glass which I broke as usual lol. My dilemma here as I can't order new glass for the IH, at least all my attempts have failed.
So as a work around I walked around the yard and kept laying the glass down on windshields till something lined up. Turns out a 78 Rancharo has the same curve.

50.jpg

So after a little tracing this is what I hope to have.
51.jpg

After some cutting.
52.jpg

53.jpg

Just mocked up in the truck. Gonna just glue this on in for now even with the break. and hunt around for a original one. The one I cut is still better than the one I had with all the holes in it haha

54.jpg

Next up was some major surgery.

Prepping the frame for the cut.

55.jpg

The donor be sacrificed for the cause.

56.jpg

awesome job

fwd coe ,, awesome build , now thats thinking , ive never heard of that nor ever thought of that , great build ,

That is a great job you are doing there, OK so how did you cut the glass and what tip did yoy use on the Oxy to cut that with. The truck is looking very neat so far and some great work, you sure know what you are doing and thanks for the update.

Slow on the updates and little short on the photos but got some updates.

Some more dent pulling

63.jpg

64.jpg

Not sure yet how I'll get everything smoothed out yet. As I can't get right into that panel to fix it better without cutting it out.

Stripped out the dash and jazz to paint everything.

65.jpg

And all the bits

66.jpg

Getting all the insulation in and dash all in and wired up.

67.jpg

68.jpg

Built a switch box for the power seat stuff. Wiring that thing took a good part of the evening and I still have to do the other side yet lol

69.jpg

Decided to strip the cab so I have a good foundation, and I'm still waiting on finding a sleeper yet so it gave me something to do.

70.jpg

Got the glass installed

71.jpg

My buddy came over last week and saw a visor on the wall I said it wouldn't fit but we tired it anyway. Fit was pretty good

72.jpg

73.jpg

So took it outside to see what I have going on digging it just needs that sleeper. I'm going to with a 42" bunk that I found should be getting it next week. The pallet represents the sleeper.

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

Yes I agree, fantastic build. Great fit on the visor, really makes it.
Adding tha 42" sleeper makes for a shorter bed, what will be it's final deck length,
and was this COE expressly built to haul the Bobcat ?
What sort of braking is on the rear wheels, is it still the electric trailer brakes ?

Last edited:
yeah bed will be shorter but I'm adding to the end of the deck, total length will be 15' deck. It'll primarily be used to haul my roadster long distance as anything over 4-5 hours isn't enjoyable in it haha.
The one axle had surge brakes(juice) I'll be adding another set to the rear axle along with some e brakes.

I just though the bobcat on to drop it off at the farm down the road and see how it felt on the back :)

Yes I agree, fantastic build. Great fit on the visor, really makes it.
Adding tha 42" sleeper makes for a shorter bed, what will be it's final deck length,
and was this COE expressly built to haul the Bobcat ?
What sort of braking is on the rear wheels, is it still the electric trailer brakes ?

OK thanks for that ..... did you get any pics of the Rodeo steering joints mated together ?