Welding question

351CFalcon

Supporting Member
I was under the HRT and noticed, actually noticed this some time ago, that several holes were never filled when they took out two cross members AFTER the frame was painted and finished.

So I'm planning on filling these holes now.

A buddy is going to come over with his welder to helper me accomplish this task.

Tank is full of gas at the moment.

Question: other than disconnecting the battery and ensuring there is a good ground, is there anything else I should watch out for or be aware of.
Some holes are near the brake and fuel lines but there is enough give once all the clamps are loosened off to pull them away from the frame and I can put asbestos shield around them.

thanks.

You didn't mention what "type" of welder your friend is going to use, 56. Regardless, the area to be filled must be free of all contaminants, particularly if using T.I.G., which I would recommend, by the way. Ensure that the ground is as close to the weld area as possible, to lessen the possibility of weld current passing through bearings. If using a stick welder, cover everything you don't want damaged. Try to do the task in an area that gives those little red hot berries
no chance to catch anything on fire. Post someone as a "fire watch" during the procedure, and for some time after completing the job, to ensure nothing that may be smouldering will flare up into a fire later. May seem like overkill to some, but trust me, it has happened to many.

If you happen to see this Jethro, add your thoughts please.

Bgbkwndo.

Thanks for your comments.

He has a 140 MIG. Only closing up some small bolt/rivet holes.

More worried about the tank full of gas, however, won't be welding near that though.

Last edited:
If the tank don't leak you are fine. A full tank is actually safer than an empty one full of fumes.
X2 on the ground close to your work, and make sure the area you are clamping to is bare metal to get good connection.
I like to clamp to a nut on the frame as you can rock the clamp back and forth on it to remove any paint.
Something also to be aware of is when you are filling holes with a mig there is a good possibility of overshooting the wire through the hole if it doesn't contact the metal and could short out
on whatever is behind it. Be sure to have something non metallic behind the hole to stop the wire, like rubber or wood.

And oh yeah Brian, blow up a paper bag ,then stand behind the welder and when he strikes an arc pop it in his ear . He will thank you later

Last edited:
And oh yeah Brian, blow up a paper bag ,then stand behind the welder and when he strikes an arc pop it in his ear . He will thank you later

Oh, I bet he would thank me. Too funny.

He's going under the HRT only because he is skinner than me. the boards are in the way.

thanks Lee.