Torque converter drain back

Tooltime

Supporting Member
As I mentioned in the update of the 30 vicky build, the transmission pan gasket started to leak!!!!!!

When it started I had put a pan under the car until I could deal with it and then when I dropped the pan I captured all the fluid. I checked the manual on 4L60E transmissions and it said that with a filter change it takes 4.7L. I measured what I have and it is almost 7L!!!!!!!!!!!

I did some checking on the web and there is a converter lock up solenoid with a anti drain back valve available from these guys

https://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/4l60elockupsolenoidantidrainback.aspx

My question is has anybody else had this problem??????????

Tim

A dry 4L60 with a 11" converter will hold 11L I think the 4.7 L figure would be if you drove the car into the shop and dropped the pan with it still hot and the converter full . If the converter drains back and the cooler drains it will Puke out the vent tube at the side of the transmission on start up. Until then I wouldn't worry about it. I'm no expert but I figure that's why they tell you to check the level hot and running they expect some leak back. the longer it sits the higher the pan level.

Slim

Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't have noticed anything if the pan gasket hadn't started to leak. That is what has started me down this rabbit hole :confused::confused:

I visited the local tranny shop yesterday and he hadn't heard of this as an issue with the 4L60E's but has on the 700R. His comment though was if a company such as Cascade(the above link) has gone to cost of making a repair item specifically to address this issue it has to be more common.

It probably isn't an issue for anyone that starts their vehicle every few months while in storage, or any vehicle stored in an area without concrete floors.

Tim