Thermostat woes

shane2290

Supporting Member
So did a pretty good run here on Sunday myself the kid and one other and about 2 hrs in I glance at temp gauge and see it creeping up 200ish---thinking WTF ? Still watching it --now 220 ---so I start to pull over and then it falls right back down to 160 . Of course we are in the middle of nowhere looking at colors and such. So think ok , will check when we get to our destination and figure out what is going on. Thinking gotta be sticking stat or hoping I should say. So had a early pitstop and everything was ok --temp was good . So we carry on maybe another 30 mins to destination and here it goes again ---shoots up to 230 this time ( I do have a 1/8 hole punched in the lip of stat ) but then falls back down to 160 . So get to our destination (folks) and let it cool down and and get the stat out and carry on home at 110 lol and never got hot once . I changed this stat out 2 seasons ago to a hi flow whatever it was and remember a old timer telling me to keep shit simple but I also recall that this stat was all they had in stock at the time, so ya sure thats fine. So installed replacement last night and you can see difference in designs and the defective turd. Thinking maybe the 1/8 hole saved me from cooking so replacement got same treatment :)

Hi flow turd on the right

20221018_184631.jpg

Can see marks on inside where looks like was binding up

20221018_184711.jpg

Gotta just love when some enginerd decides to redesign something that is simple and works into something that is not then sell it as an improvement on something that needed no improvements. Change for the sake of change. I HATE IT.