The not so super Super Run?

Bash and scratch

Supporting Member
I have to say that I have attended Super Run several times and usually just did my own thing, socailized with peeps from out of town and the such so never really participated in the whole Dinner Dance etc thing. So as a result of the lack of enthusiasum noted on this event this time, I tried to take in as much of the "organized" events as would allow, the shop tours on Friday some cruizin, breakies, dinner, dance etc. to see for myself the possible reasons for it?. I have some thoughts of my own and for now will keep them to myself but would love some feed back from others here. I feel that if we do not voice opinions and thoughts things like this will disappear or continue to degrade if nothing else.... who knows it may just land on the right ear? And anyone who did attend I would love to hear what you thought about it, if you do not want to post please pm me.

Anyway here are a few pics I did not take as many as usual as I was a little pre occupied.

I saw Russ's Truck there but never managed to catch up to him.. Russ I apoligize
DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1046.jpg

DSCN1047-1.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

DSCN1039.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

I have never seen a Stude with this front end look Packardish?
DSCN1037.jpg

CopyofDSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1010.jpg

DSCN1007.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

Rod and custom dreams new ride
DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

This is a beautiful De Soto
DSCN1033.jpg

DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1035.jpg

and 39custom was there but I did not get a shot
DSCN0744.jpg

Thanks for peekin in and thanks for any feed back you may have

Bash:)

Last edited:
Terrific pics as usual Bash! Thanks.

Once again I had a good time at Super Run, as it is an opportunity to see old friends, meet some new ones and see some super rides. Despite the searing heat, I managed to walk the tarmac a few times to inspect the wide variety of rods, customs, muscle cars and classics - something for everyone.

I had pre-registered this year, so the fee seemed (barely) reasonable for what was offered - yet there were additional costs for the breakfasts which I thought was a bit unfair given the entry fee. As far as the dinner and dance go, I did not attend this time, but heard the same issue arise again. When last the Super Run was in 'Toon Town and I had attended the dinner I was disappointed when the remaining food was whisked away before I could grab "seconds". So, hearing the same complaint this time, I wonder what the reasoning behind this is; and what is done with the leftover food.

Given this one fairly universal concern I will say that the venue was better than I expected (was originally to be in the same location as the previous event), the weather was clear (VERY clear) and the folks are as nice as ever. I enjoyed myself.

Thanks to 39custom for sharing his spot in the shade!

-Dave

Thanks for posting Bash.

Yes Russ (E83W) is hard to pin down....:D

and a definite yes on that DeSoto with the hemi...it is very nice. It was for sale some time last year.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed you Bash, I was looking forward to meeting you.
As for the Not So Super Run............I have attended better organized shows!
First the good stuff,,,,the tour of Draggin's made you feel welcome and was very relaxed and casual. It is pretty cool they have a place to work on projects. The sausage, perogies and suds thing was ok for the price of admission. They ran out of sour cream, sour kraut and served up some still half frozen perogies, but I think once you got through you were pretty stuffed. The muffler rappin thing was a bit of a flop I think. Not really my bag I guess. There were quite a few cars we had never seen before as we were coming out from Alberta. Some were most excellent. We met some really great people as well from Vancouver Island. Had a for the most part an excellent time.
The garage tour to the shop north of town was great. They do some nice work there and have a great little shop. Some cool stuff to look at and dream.

The Bad, well first off the competitors breakfast was advertised as a $2 affair in the "Official Program" turned out it was $3 when you got there. Not a big deal, just why not advertise as $3?????????
The people parking the vehicles had no idea where they wanted anyone when it started on Saturday, what a cluster....... Sunday brought it's own challenges. Most arrived early looking for shade with a 32 degree forcast. We got there early got all set up and then were told to move because the safety area was right where we had parked. We even asked before we parked and were told it would be fine. We made some small adjustments and it all worked fine.
Then the dinner was in the program as 7:30 start time but the sign in the hall where it was to take place said 7:00 and dinner was not until 7:45.
The shuttle service that did or did not exsist for transportation to the dinner was very unorganized. We asked about the shuttle on the way out Saturday and were told that ther would be NO SHUTTLE as the people who were doing the shuttle service were going to the party so it was cancelled for Saturday night. The Heritage (host Hotel) and Saskatoon Inn (host hotel) had no idea of what was happening with the shuttle. They said they had only the same info as we did from the "Program". So we cut the night short there and went to the parking lot to enjoy a few pops and shoot the breeze.
And Wow the food was picked up quick after the first on slaught went through. I did manage grab a second sandwich before it was gone though.
Finally the awards thing was kind of Good-guysish, lining up the winners so you knew what got what. But again the program was way off. Where were the long distance American and Canadian awards? The Hard luck award etc? It sort of seemed everything was off the cuff and no where near what was printed in the Official Program.

I think Red Deer has a way better organized event. I personally will not be back to Saskatoon. Now I know why so many from here were avoiding it.

These are my thoughts as you asked,
The weather was great and we travelled with friends. The show was the destination, the real fun was getting there.
Sorry again Bash that I missed you.

.........I didn't want to put anything in the show, just didn't have time for it......but did manage to go to the swap meet on saturday , I was very disappointed to see almost nothing there for vendors and parts. Weather was great , with the heat you could expect a hail storm anytime but mother nature was good to the guys. Talked to one of the boys yesterday and he said maybe 500 cars, not the 700 they expected. I would of liked to talk to the owner of the black 58 Impala ( manitoba car ), it was gorgeous, but he wasn't around at the time. The Willys coupe was nice, but a plastic car. I just sold my 39 Overland 3 window ( willys ) which was in very tough shape, but the guy is going to have a steel car when done. Some neat cars as always, a stock looking 68 Biscayne 2 door post 427 auto column shift caught my eye. $3 for a bottle of water I thought was robbery in such weather. I never took a camera along.

I have never seen a Stude with this front end look Packardish?
DSCN1037.jpg

1947 Commander Starlite Coupe ........... and NO ...... Packard did not have an interest in Studebaker til 1957.

That body ran from 1947 to 1952, changes to the front sheetmetal only through those years and the only other significant change was in '52 where they changed the roof line before that body was put to sleep..

Last edited:
Thanks bullet LOL I did not even know Packard and Stude were ever in bed with one another? :cool:
Bash

Yes Bash, google / images / 1957 Packardbaker and you'll see what the collaboration produced.
Better yet, here is just one model that came out of it.
32055111213_large.jpg

Last edited:
Super Run Saskatoon

The 41 Desoto is still in my hands and the drive to the run was excellent and My wife and I had a great time. As always with Super Run we get the chance to renew old friendships and make a few new ones. This event did not dissapoint us on that front. We enjoyed the antique sale and admittedly dropped a few dollars and took home some " can't live without items. "
We didn't notice any issues with organization , venue or anything else , I took enough food at dinner that I couldn't have found the room for seconds. The music all weekend was superb. My only gripe was with the trailer show that was on at the host hotel.I have been enjoying " Rod Runs " for nearly 30 years and again I hate to see some guy who loaded his vehicle on a trailer have the audacity to drive it around with the rest of the winners. I can't deny each of the winners were deserving based on the quality of their respective cars , but I would like to see a different colored window sticker for trailered cars so people judging them will know the vehicle is competing in a car show and not attending a rod run. There were a whole pile of vehicles I would liked to see drive around the circle and some as deserving as the winners. Again , We had so much fun visiting with old and new friends that we didn't see anything to gripe about and I will be coming back to Saskatoon the next time the event is there and will be DRIVING to Red Deer next year and to Brandon the year after.

Super Run Saskatoon

The 41 Desoto is still in my hands and the drive to the run was excellent and My wife and I had a great time. As always with Super Run we get the chance to renew old friendships and make a few new ones. This event did not dissapoint us on that front. We enjoyed the antique sale and admittedly dropped a few dollars and took home some " can't live without items. "
We didn't notice any issues with organization , venue or anything else , I took enough food at dinner that I couldn't have found the room for seconds. The music all weekend was superb. My only gripe was with the trailer show that was on at the host hotel.I have been enjoying " Rod Runs " for nearly 30 years and again I hate to see some guy who loaded his vehicle on a trailer have the audacity to drive it around with the rest of the winners. I can't deny each of the winners were deserving based on the quality of their respective cars , but I would like to see a different colored window sticker for trailered cars so people judging them will know the vehicle is competing in a car show and not attending a rod run. There were a whole pile of vehicles I would liked to see drive around the circle and some as deserving as the winners. My friends and I have been attending runs long enough that accolades are flattering , but not the reason for attendance. The drive to the event is half the fun as most people don't get to drive for hours on the hi-way looking over the hood of a hot rod and the event and friends are the icing on the cake. Again , We had so much fun visiting with old and new friends that we didn't see anything to gripe about and I will be coming back to Saskatoon the next time the event is there and will be DRIVING to Red Deer next year and to Brandon the year after.