Split I-beams and rack and pinion steering

I need some direction as to the circumstances needing attention if i were to replace the standard steering box that comes with Ford Split I-Beam axles, with a rack and pinion box. I know its not the usual idea, but just curious.

I.M.O., using a rack with twin I beam is a recipe for bump steer.
If you are set on using a ranger chassis under your Auburn, consider the '98 and up Rangers, as they switched to S.L.A. (short long arm) with a rack. I have an '08 and am quite happy with the ride....

James

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what your trying to do . But ford used the split I beem up into the late 90s at least on the ranger with power stearing. speedway and others sell a cross steer rack for a i beam axle .just use or copy one of these desighns. they are tested and work.

Ok thanks, It was mostly an off the cuff question in case someone had tried. My observations are that the radius of the axle arm compared to the steering arm radius obviously dont coincide but given the relativly limited movement of say 2" up and 1" down of the spindle, it could be do-able, it would take some shop time to investigate. For speed and ease of construction, I will stick with what comes with the frame.

I know all about bumpsteer as I own a TVR Vixen and it came from the factory that way and the only way to drive it was with your hands lighty resting on the wheel, it's as though it had Parkinson's disease! And I did race in local sportscar events. You just had to become use to it and I never had a problem with it, in fact I seldom found myself over driving that car.