Spark plug wire testing??

Ken47

Supporting Member
Hi. I hope this doesn’t sound like a dumb question, but I was wondering if there is a way to tell if a spark plug is firing properly without an analyzer. I know you can “ read” a spark plug to try to determine what’s going on. I know too that if you have an analyzer you can look at the performance (voltage profile) of a plug/cylinder etc. I measured the resistance of my plug wires and they were all fairly similar except one (I suppose length matters😄) It has quite a bit higher resistance. Measuring the resistance all stared as I was trying to confirm my firing order was right. The wires route down the back of the engine and under the manifolds in heat resistant sheathing and its hard to follow the wires. Any thoughts on this😄😄?

I think if you take the plug out and put the wire back on it. Then have someone crank the motor over while you put touch the plug to your tongue. If you do this to each one it will tell you if they are firing the same...hahah. Yeah sorry..have no idea how to measure the resistance but it’s early and my resistance to do this was very low...hahahahah...

You had me wondering if there should be a difference..Using your multi meter you should get 12000 om of resistance per foot of wire.... Unless you have that one wire running all around your engine compartment there should not be a large difference in your readings from wire to wire...info is from several sites on the Internet so you can decide if it applies or believable.

The way I have the wires running the cylinders 7 & 8 are about 18” long and the 1 & 2 are probably 36” long. I had to route them away from the exhaust. I think I’ll take my multimeter out and more accurately measure the resistance. Likely the difference is negligible, but I have nothing else to do today😄😄

I can’t remember a number but if you have 8 plug wires, measure them all. Compare that all the resistances should be similar, varied slightly by length. Compare the much shorter coil lead too to see how different length matters.
Not sure this helps for an accurate...give me a number answer.

Tongue on the wire does the same thing...and you will be shocked at how accurate it is....hahahahahah