Seater recovery and installation.....

shaune

Supporting Member
Seat recovery and installation......

I thought I posted this already but a search tells me I did not. This is a little tech on recovering a bucket seat and a little on the mounting mod in a different vehicle. I assume most of us have done this, so maybe there is nothing to learn and I'm just farting in the wind.
68 Mustang, bucket seats....like sitting on a park bench, not too pretty comfy for a long drive. Some research showed that Pontiac Fiero seats are a good upgrade. Found 2 seats pretty ratty but paid $20 for all, good deal. These seats have more side bolster, they recline and a bit of lumbar support....anything is more than a stock Mustang seat. I found a guy in Florida...MrMike that sells kits to recover the Fiero seats yourself. Had a damn fine match to my color.....like damn fine ! $625 Cdn to my door.....everything you need in that box. Adhesive, hog rings and pliers, additional padding, instruction video and 4 seat bags sewn to what ever pattern you want. Mine match closely to original pattern.
This video was excellent. The job was easy once I got going. Remove the old ratty seat bags.....undo the hog rings and pull out and mark the lister rods. I added addition padding in the recommended areas....more side bolster where it was worn down. Removed the speakers from the headrests and filled in the holes with the padding....cotton batten or white fluff I guess. Duct tape to hold it all together and sprayed with glue. The bags are inside out and slip over fairly easy. As you go down there are some lister rods to reinstall....they hold the bag to that crease or location. Once covered the hog rings are squeezed through the reenforcement strip on the fabric and through the seat frame. A heat gun cautiously used will smooth an odd wrinkle. In the warm sun helped the vinyl be more pliable. 2 seat pans, 2 seat backs....2 short afternoons.
As for the seat mounting each vehicle will be slightly different, the mustang rails were bolted to steel plate, bolted to the seats. The pictures should be enough to see how that turned out.
End result....a great improvement, satisfaction of doing it myself, comfy reclinable seats with support that match the look of a cone head stock interior.
Pictures to load in next post.

Last edited:
IMG_0267_zpseohf7i3e.jpg

This is one of the lister rods....slides through a sewn loop inside the fabric and is hog ringed inside the foam seat to stay in place.

image.jpg2_zpsu7d9npyx.jpg

Seat back ....speakers still in headrest, not yet removed. There would be 2 lister rods down each side L &R and 3 hog rings pinched into the deep creases below head rest and next crease down. The pull the bag down further to hog ring the bag closed at the seat back hinge.

image.jpg2_zpsua8byazf.jpg

Foam added to seat bottom and batting for side bolster. The padding was then covered by duct tape. Between each foam section will be more hog rings pinch to the seat frame inside the yellow molded foam.

IMG_0366_zpsumupziii.jpg

Finished seat ..... impressed with myself.

IMG_0363_zpskzej3sxe.jpg

Installing the seat mounting. Mustang rails bolted to a flat plate that bolts to the seat. This installation raised the seat about 1.5" from stock seat installation. Not a factor for myself.

IMG_0371_zpsvsxjxmkj.jpg

Added some washers to shim for some clearance along rail for slide mechanism.