rules about air ride

One regulation I am aware of is that the controls are no longer allowed to be in the driver's compartment. Trunk only, etc.

Keith did they define "control" as the control valves or the wires that run them? Can see not wanting you to put a pressurized tank in the drivers compartment but trunk only rules out pick ups and any transports useing air ride seats and air brakes. Makes you wonder how much they paid the clueless basturds to come up with this.Frankly I could care less about the subject but once these minions get rolling they are inpossible to stop.
wonder how they apply this to motorcycles with air ride suspension :D

Kiff and Slim
Essentially you cannot raise or lower your car from the driver's compartment on vehicles weighing less than 4500kg. B.C.
Motor vehicle inspection manual section 7D.01

One other point, if the bags fail, the scrub line cannot be compromised.

Pretty common sense stuff, both items.

If you are intending to build a ride and you are unaware of the regulations go to the nearest and friendliest
inspection facility and make friends with the inspecting mechanic. Ask to see the inspection manual. This
subject has been flogged to death on this site, but you need fenders, bumpers, hood top, wipers, belts, etc.
Cycle fenders are ok as long as they meet the centreline criteria.

Good luck

Last edited:
That would make modern load hight control for trailering illegal and most of the new tractsion control systems on new vehicles should not pass.
Again as I said before not a lot of deep thinking going on ther. Making up laws pointed at a few some how affect many.

WTF

4500kg is 10000 lbs, so if your vehicle weighs less than that the controls cannot be in the passenger compartment. ( In your case the pickup box
would be the place )

so it is the actual static weight not the registered GVW? I see a loophole where you increase the GVW and be compliant. I have done this in the past with trucks to avoid aircare testing. You simply incur a higher road licensing fee and if you pick the right # you do not need a commercial inspection.

I have never heard of a rule going off the actual weight of the vehicle since thy can vary, usually based off the gvw. If that is the case I will just increase my gvw to 4600kg and be able to avoid a commercial inspection and the need for a national safety number.

Either way, you will still need a BC inspection because the vehicle must have a "modified" status designation whether it be a car or truck.
When you fall under the modified vehicle application the rule applies as to the location of the switches.
Ignoring registering your car as "modified" could negate insurance coverage in case of a loss.
If you are going for a new registration a weigh scale slip will also be required which will show the "net" weight of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Geeez.......forgot to mention you can get the BC Motor Vehicle Inspection manual online for $25.00.

I think I googled "BC Motor Vehicle Inspection manual online" and found the site.

Get one of these and be as well (or more) informed than the inspecting mechanic when you go for registration.

I am planning a air ride setup for my truck. What are the gov't regs regarding air ride?

The biggest thing you need to know, is just to educate yourself. Have all modifications done properly, and to the letter of the written laws in your province.

The biggest point of reference for BC law is to pay attention to the scrub line, make sure your suspension has bump stops to prevent too much downward travel, and the larger your wheels, and lower profile your tires, the closer you can technically get to the ground. The general idea would be that if you were to blow a bag, or tire, that no other part of your rig, except, the wheel will touch the ground in any extreme cirumstance.

Air suspension CANNOT be illegal, and controls inside the passenger compartment CANNOT be either. The OEMs have been using air on their suspensions (yes that includes full 4 wheel systems) for decades. For example, the Jeep Cherokee, Land Rover, and the soon to be released Dodge Ram, ALL have 4 wheel independant air systems, with driver-selectable ride heights within the drivers reach, and have in many cases for many more years than most of the nay-sayers realize, with as much as 6" total travel at your fingertips.

Now, I'm not trying to start a fight, nor am I trying to discount anyone, but being from BC, and having recently moved to Ontario with a fully airbagged 2003 Ram, I do know the ins, and outs, of some of the processes. Having also said that, I now know that Ontario, is a little more lax in its rules regarding modifications, but does not mean that in BC it is impossible. Educating yourself will be your biggest ally, ALL of the information you will need to "PROPERLY" modify your ride is available. Finding someone who works at an inspection station, and "befriending" them will go a long way to helping clarify any questions.

Good luck, and I hope my long winded "rant" didn't offend anyone...

MB

Hi...Just to add to your list- Mercedes 'Airamatic' also lets you raise the SUV/car for things such a putting on chains.

Cheers!