Rebuilding 41-48 Ford Or Merc steering box

PG409

Supporting Member
Lots of play in the wheel. I have adjusted the nut as far as it will go. I know I have to remove all outercolumn and shifter from inside car. ( did this before on my 54 wagon to put an automatic outer column in). Any advice or tips appreciated.
how do you remove the adjusting screw lock plate?

Ok...the box is rebuilt. Lots of back on forth comments on grease for the box. STP or John Deere corn head grease. Other?....
no it is not as Davey Joe would say......cornholers.......

Great stuff you got it rebuilt...,I have to do mine in the ‘55 3100 before spring drives.
What does Henry and his engineers suggest for lube? We don’t get too hot up here, and you probably are not driving it to the salt this year....
In your rebuilding did the seal type change, another reason to change up the viscosity of the lube?
Watching to see what I need to know. I’m not at home to see what my instructions pack suggests.
Greg

Greg. My friend Lee Thompson did the box for me. Some machining for bushings etc. The Ford Barn. ( division of the Hamb ) suggests John Deere corn head grease. Apparently it is 600 weight. The grease has to be thick so it stays in the upper part of the box as well as the lower. If the box leaks your grease is too light. Some say use STP. I am going to the JD dealer tomorrow. I am sure there are other suitable products.

I used JD corn head grease in my rebuilt corvair box on my 35 . Awesome stuff. Its super thick with no leaks when static ,but gets thinner as you move the gears. Great Stuff.

Thanks for the goods on the grease! That is the first I have heard of corn head grease.... I thought auto-correct was messing with “cone-head grease”...so I was half waiting for the PG punch line.... jokes on me. Lol
Thanks Lee, as I can envision that being the stuff a guy would want to use in those boxes too.
Greg

Box back in all hooked up even horn. Going to glue down floor insulation in a couple of days when it is warmer. Spray adhesive needs lots of ventilation.