Progress Update 2 - July 14, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
BUMMER. Hit a major snag today. Not insurmountable but a serious pain in the butt and a whole lot of time to correct.

If you get dizzy reading tech computer stuff, leave now.

For those that can stand it:

- The programs (PHP script) that drive these database (MySQL) driven discussion forums, as described in my earlier "Crossroads" threads, require different versions of the PHP scripting language. Again, as I've said before, this version of vBulletin (3.8.8) can't run on anything newer than 5.4. And, as 5.4 could disappear anytime, we have decided to move on to different software. OK?

- The new software requires PHP 5.6 or better (preferably, like 7+) OK?

- Now, the rub. Shared hosting platforms have a single version of PHP to power all application using PHP. OK?

- Which means that, it will be impossible for me to install, run and test the new software and have THIS current version of vBulletin running at the same time. There is a hokey workaround but it's not stable (like plugging with JB Weld and hoping for the best). NOT OK.

- So, what is the real bummer news? In order to come up with a suitable environment where I can run this forum so we can keep using it until the new software testing is done, I have to upgrade this software to version 3.8.11 first then both will co-exist.

I hope I can get version 3.8.11 of this current software for free as I have a license for anything 3.X.

However, I really didn't want to touch this software for fear of upsetting something. I don't see an another option.

I'll have to take the forum down at some point to do this upgrade here providing I can get ver 3.8.11.

There you go. Sorry for the heavy techy stuff. I'm really not amused today.

I'll advise further if I have to take the forum down to upgrade it. This is a large step I hadn't planned for.

BUMMER. Hit a major snag today. Not insurmountable but a serious pain in the butt and a whole lot of time to correct.

If you get dizzy reading tech computer stuff, leave now.

For those that can stand it:

- The programs (PHP script) that drive these database (MySQL) driven discussion forums, as described in my earlier "Crossroads" threads, require different versions of the PHP scripting language. Again, as I've said before, this version of vBulletin (3.8.8) can't run on anything newer than 5.4. And, as 5.4 could disappear anytime, we have decided to move on to different software. OK?

- The new software requires PHP 5.6 or better (preferably, like 7+) OK?

- Now, the rub. Shared hosting platforms have a single version of PHP to power all application using PHP. OK?

- Which means that, it will be impossible for me to install, run and test the new software and have THIS current version of vBulletin running at the same time. There is a hokey workaround but it's not stable (like plugging with JB Weld and hoping for the best). NOT OK.

- So, what is the real bummer news? In order to come up with a suitable environment where I can run this forum so we can keep using it until the new software testing is done, I have to upgrade this software to version 3.8.11 first then both will co-exist.

I hope I can get version 3.8.11 of this current software for free as I have a license for anything 3.X.

However, I really didn't want to touch this software for fear of upsetting something. I don't see an another option.

I'll have to take the forum down at some point to do this upgrade here providing I can get ver 3.8.11.

There you go. Sorry for the heavy techy stuff. I'm really not amused today.

I'll advise further if I have to take the forum down to upgrade it. This is a large step I hadn't planned for.

UMMMM, good luck.

Do what you need to do Frank, we will keep visiting the forum whether it is here or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.