Peetronics coil

al37ford

Supporting Member
Pertronics coil

I wanted to dress up the engine compartment in my '35 /302 sbf so I bought a Pertronics chrome cover 12v 3.0 ohm coil & horizontal mount to replace the weathered old black Borg Warner E-30 coil. Now it won't Start! Catches & hickups/then one backfire & dead. I don't think I have a ballast anywhere unless it's well hidden. Anyone have issues with this coil?? :confused:

Last edited:
Al.. I have used the Flame Thrower coil with a Mallory electronic dist. for years.
Pertronix do show the 1.5ohm coil for 12v - V8 use and the 3.0 ohm for 4/6cyl use. Are you using their Ignitor points replacement or other electronic dist?

I've had their ignition module/replacement for points in for several years but kept the old B/W coil. I noticed the Ohm difference after I received the new coil. I've re-ordered & will see what happens when replaced.

Could be just a bad one? The first one I got was leaking oil in the box when it arrived! Replacement worked fine for about 6 years and then lost it's oil fill which I didn't notice as it was just such a small amount. Car would start fine and then as it warmed up start running rough and would just start dying. Plugs were fouled badly. Checked coil but it would be ok initially - until it got HOT! I pulled the carb apart many times and tried various adjustments to mixture and even new intake gasket thinking vac leak. Just put my hand on the coil at one point and nearly a 3rd degree burn!
Didn't notice leak, as mine is in stock horizontal position. Pertronix now say that all the oil filled should be mounted vertical or use an epoxy filled if horizontal. Can't see why?? the stock coils are oil filled and work fine so maybe their problem? Running mine with no ballast resistor as called for with original Ignitor setup only now with a full induction distrib. Keeping an eye on but thinking of getting an epoxy filled as no room to mount vertically unless on firewall.

That's good to know as who knows how long it sat horizontal in storage plus being banged around in shipping! I'll put it back upright this time. Thanks!

I had a coil problem about 20 years ago. I had a real nice 19 foot slick craft boat with a 350 chevy in the back. We were at the lake one day, and it would fire up no problem, idle like normal, but as soon as I kicked the boat gearshift into gear to drive the prop, the engine would just die.
I am not a tune up guy and I went to town to try to ask a mechanic what he thought the problem might be. He said it sounded like a coil problem to him, so I said I would drive the 9 miles back and bring the coil and he would test it.
Went back to the lake, and got to thinking about the wife's jag with a 12 volt coil in it, removed it, installed it in the boat and the kids water skied for the rest of the day.
Put the coil back on the jag to drive it back to town, and bought a new coil for the boat the next day.

These kind of responses are why I still do the drill here! Always help or ideas to help each other along! Thanks guys!

New coil arrived in a solid box...1.5 ohm & started right up! So, never will know if it was the ohm diff or banged around in transit?