Paint question

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
I know enough about painting to get myself into trouble..I have a few pieces of painted interior trim that I managed to scratch up...question is can I just skuff up the clear and repaint with colour and clear or do I have prime then paint and clear?.. also have a hood from my 90 s chev pickup that is pealing paint. The primer underneath almost looks like galvanized..but I doubt it...do I have to strip the hood to bare metal or what?..any advice would be great...

Lots of views but no responses..can’t believe I killed my own thread before it even started...ha...

LOL Johnny the only time you really need to prime is when you hit bare metal or when you need to fill something ie: different layers in the paint when you have feathered out a blemmish of some kind. The hood sounds like it should be stripped and start from scratch to me as you say its peeling. Safest way to deal with it would be to strip it to metal. The trim pieces should be fine to just respray. Sorry I was sure some one else was going to pipe up. lol

PS if your trim is painted in base clear and your scratch has broken through the clear to the base you may get some wrinkling. This is because (solvent based base) has no hardener in it and sometimes when you top coat it with out sealing it or priming it the solvent from the new paint will attack the old base and wick under the old clear causing wrinkles.

good luck! ;)

Last edited:
Lots of views but no responses..can’t believe I killed my own thread before it even started...ha...

I think you should get an award of some kind. I have killed my share of threads but never my own.

So is the paint a base colour coat and then a clear coat? I used to sell paint (before California water base) and the base / clear was kind of neat in that you screwed up on the clear when it was wet you could just wipe it off and start again. The base has almost no shine, kind of flat, the shine comes from the clear. Not sure about the scratches, maybe try the easiest first and just clear the scratches (small brush ?) if that doesn't work your going to have to remove the clear and repaint but it might be easier to just sand the scratches and repaint, I don't think priming would be necessary.

I think those early GM hoods all pealed, some were repainted under warranty. There is a primer called Vinyl wash (I think) that is mostly zinc chromate (green stuff on airplanes) and a acid that etches into the metal and then prime and repaint.

BUT I don't know nothing !

Boy, if I had know that Bash (I am not worthy) was coming on, I would have kept my big mouth shut. Sorry bash. :eek:

Thanks guys..yes it is a base coat clear coat...the trim was scratched down to the primer...they were screw driver scratches...Was worried about the wrinkling so late last night I did try the tiny brush fix with some base coat and I had some clear left over from doing my breather. Came out pretty good...will have to look at it in the day light.. Some day I might pull the pieces off and repaint but for now you won't notice them unless I point them out ...as for the hood I think you guys are right about taking it to the bare metal...peals more every day...the roof is only pealing the clear but the hood has a 1 ft x 3 ft area where the paint is gone completely. Summer time job I think...thanks again for the advice...

Last edited: