Old Saskatoon guy

ssmustang

Supporting Member
Hello all: I was messing with a new search engine and found an old friend who now posts on this site. Fred (Sassy) among others (miss Kelvin a lot!) helped me out back in the day and hopefully I returned the favor. Sure do like what you have done with the car although Steven had updated me the few times I ran into him out at SIR.
I am a Canadian who was able to get away from the cold. For me winter was 'project time' and usually built or modified something back in the day that kept me somewhat sane? Was nice not to have to mow the lawn but the cold always bothered me, seemed to get longer every year.
Long story short, have been in Hawaii (Big Island) 27 years now, brought some of the toys with me from Canada, 1964 Fairlane, 1961 Mercury 1/2 ton and wife's 1964 Falcon. Recently found a 43K original mile 1979 Mercury Zephyr for the wife (factory A/C) so working on that now as it sat in Kona for 7 years without moving. We have a local county owned drag strip here run by two clubs (reminds me a lot of SIR back when the club first took it over). I recently was helping/advising a neighbor on back halving his 1955 Studebaker Commander so went out to the track to help him out. Bad move.. now bracket racing the truck.
I am not much of a computer guy ie. old, and I know you like pictures and I will try.

Hey Bob how's it going! Good to see you're still around like some of the rest of us old farts! Sounds like you have aquired some cool projects while down there as well. Good to see you are still involved!

That you Neil? Just a guess based on the avatar and beautiful Willys. Yes all good, still a car guy but other than the Zephyr just bought here it's my 'Canadian' collection. Still have the Super Stock Mustang as well. Long time since I was out at your farm, hear you are still building stuff!

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I love the big island. Thanks for joining up:)

Bob,,,, what a pleasent surprise!!
I mentioned you in a post,, thought the Mustang was in a museum,,?
The Fairlaine's still turnin heads eh? I remember the yellow Falcon sitting on 11st and the short box pulling an enclosed trailer,, with a Boss powered rail in it,,?
The last time we talked was a chance meeting 10 or more years ago in Toon Town at the Draggins car show,, remember I couldn't get used to you in gray hair lololol.
Please post pics!!
Stay tuned just about ready to throw up a couple pics on my interior,, ya finally updated lol.
Fred

Hi guys: First thank you for sorting out the issues Frank, nice to be able to connect with like minded old car guys from the past.
Fred, yes I have been lucky in my trips back to S'toon running into a few old timers (show was at the exhibition grounds that year if I remember correctly). Covid thing put my planned trip off for this year. Sure like what you have done to the Comet, always loved the body style and you sure don't see many any more, real survivor, will watch for more pictures. I have one picture of your car that I do not know where it came from, in front of your house with my Boss 302 there. I will try to find it. The Mustang has made it's home for a few years now at the Wally Parks NHRA Museum in Pomona, CA. Worked on it since we 'unveiled' the car at SEMA 2013. Best place I could have found to display it and the staff look after it better than I ever did! Great people.
I thought I had grey hair when I was 20, don't know why but it has progressed a bunch from those days. Nice to connect, will try soon for some pictures.
Bob

Welcome to the CR sandbox.

Looks like we're become world wide, at least have the Pacific covered with a few down unders and now an Hawaiian.

That you Neil? Just a guess based on the avatar and beautiful Willys. Yes all good, still a car guy but other than the Zephyr just bought here it's my 'Canadian' collection. Still have the Super Stock Mustang as well. Long time since I was out at your farm, hear you are still building stuff!

Yeah great to see you on the forum! Been a long time. 27 years wow didn't seem that long ago!

Hello again: Yes, 27 years, doesn't seem that long!
I was looking at Imgur last night trying to figure it out but in the meantime maybe this link will work to start out. It is a short video my good friend Greg M did when we dropped the Mustang off at the museum in 2016. Motor in the car was built in 1973 by Tony (Ford engineer and 1st owner, bought the car from Ford for $1). I bought the motor in 1975ish and disassembled, oiled and greased it down and put it into storage, never did race it in the car, .651 lift flat tappet cam, nothing new, all early 70's vintage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaajAP5vfxQ

Bob

Hi guys: First thank you for sorting out the issues Frank, nice to be able to connect with like minded old car guys from the past.
Fred, yes I have been lucky in my trips back to S'toon running into a few old timers (show was at the exhibition grounds that year if I remember correctly). Covid thing put my planned trip off for this year. Sure like what you have done to the Comet, always loved the body style and you sure don't see many any more, real survivor, will watch for more pictures. I have one picture of your car that I do not know where it came from, in front of your house with my Boss 302 there. I will try to find it. The Mustang has made it's home for a few years now at the Wally Parks NHRA Museum in Pomona, CA. Worked on it since we 'unveiled' the car at SEMA 2013. Best place I could have found to display it and the staff look after it better than I ever did! Great people.
I thought I had grey hair when I was 20, don't know why but it has progressed a bunch from those days. Nice to connect, will try soon for some pictures.Bob
Hey Bob found some pics maybe I got doubles printed and you got the other one.
Fred

Attachments

• 20210312_102022.jpg
    20210312_102022.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 71
Hey Bob edited this thread with a pic of your Boss I found. In front of my place in Confed mid-late 70's?
Fred

This may not be the right place for this, but just like the "What's your Story" thread, the pic of the Boss 302 Mustang triggered some memories for me:)

Back in about 1979, or 1980, while riding around G.P. on my 1979 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona Special, I would often see a Boss 302 Mustang, which was even the same colour as the one in Fred's pic Eventually, I got to meet the driver, and used to stop & chat occasionally when I would see him out & about. He had purchased the car as a theft recovery in ~1974, someone had stolen the car, robbed it of it's powertrain, and abondoned it. Terry purchased it, and in those days, you could still walk into a Ford dealer and order a BN engine.
So, he put it together and drove it, OFTEN. Somewhere in his travels, he ran across another guy driving a Boss 302 Mustang, and this car was equipped with a CROSS BOSS intake and Autolite inline 4bbl carb. (Google it!!)
The problem was, this car had been converted to an automatic trans, (**Ford never put auto's in B302 cars they were ALL toploader 4 speeds) and just did not run right with the Cross Boss setup. This fellow was so pissed off with the way it ran, he offered to swap Terry straight across for the OEM aluminum hi rise intake and carb.
Anyways, I was fortunate enough to get to ride in Terry's car on a couple occasions, and it was fairly quick, BUT traction was an issue:)
Last time I saw Terry was completely by accident, sometime in the early to mid '90's, I was @ the ALL FORD WEEKEND in Calgary, and ran into Terry and his daughters @ the racetrack.
Well, that's enough rambling for tonight , sorry for hijacking your thread:oops:

Last edited:
Yes Fred I have that picture somewhere as well, probably came from you as I was not good at taking or keeping pictures back then. The car came stock with the dog dish wheels but when I bought it in 74 it already had aftermarket slots on it. I put magnums on but didn't like the look as much as the dog dish so changed them later. Car looked yellow in the picture but was actually Bright Gold metallic.

James-WC you are sooo right about the Cross Boss, I can't image how it would have run with an automatic. Even the Boss engine would not have liked it!! Maybe with a high stall converter it would have been more drive able? I 'played' with the Cross Boss a little as well, idled great, WOT great but did not want to run at any kind of part throttle. Great looking piece and I had plans to do some work under in the plenum to make it mare street able. Sold the car to pay off my house here instead, but I sure miss that car. Best all round Mustang I ever had, did it all.
Boss5.jpg

Boss13.jpg

Thanks for making me reminisce a bit, good times!!!