MOE Infractions

Admin

Administrator
Is there anyone here that has an actual documented MOE infractions? That is, a "ticket" with a stated fine?

Or, do you know someone who does and could get a copy?

Hi Frank. I know that Bob McJanett from Performance Improvements is also looking for people who have been stopped and fined by the MOE. Maybe he can help you.

Frank,
about 6 years ago I was driving a 78 Elcamino daily beater. I was still workingh at the college, so to get away from the hassles, i would venture the 3 blocks to the Tim's down the street. I was sitting in the camino, drinking my coffee and noticed the MOE car parked across the parking lot from me.
The officer got out of his car and walked over to mine and asked if he could look under the hood. I knew that if I said no, a city cop would show up. He checked the car over. The other officer motioned to me to come to his side of the car. He said to me "you have a wide oipen vacuum leak right there at ahe base of the carb. To whch I said," maybe you'd better take a better look, that is a choke h4eat stove tube, NOT vacuum.
Well, I got the $360 ticket. I searchedfor information on what SHOULD have been on the truck to no avail. All I could come up with was "there could be a combination of a total 28 pieces o the truck.
In court, the guy that went ahead of me brought in his mechanic who had serviced his truck since new. The gentleman explained that the warm air hose from the exhaus5t manifold to the aircleaner snorkle had dropped down since h9is last service. The J.P. said, and I qute," Sir was the truck compliant or not when insected." He said, "No, I guess not". She said "GUILTY, the fine will be $10"
Now here we have a J.P., 2 crown attornies, 2 MOE officers, the guy lost a day of work to show up and he paid his mechanic to come down with him.

My case came up next. J.P. said do you have anything to add. I said,"Yes, I have searched for informtion, regarding the pieces of emissions control that could be on the vehicle. I can't get any thing definitive from GM or any other source or I would have had it fixed to meet that standard. She said, "it's perfectly clear what you should have fixed, they've told you to fix the vacuum leak and install the carbon canister. I told her I would fix thise items. Just before I walked into court I ran into a cop who used to play hockey for me when I was coaching. He told me to ask for a reduced sentence. I said "What?" he said yea, you'll figure something out."
Well, I asked the JP for a reduced sentence and she asked "on what grounds". I said the vehicle wasn't compliant because I couldn't find any information on it. She agreed with me and said "Guilty the fine will be $100". She also looked at the 2 MOE officers and said "I DON'T want any more of this frivolous stuff to come before me. Is that understood"?"

I paid my fine and left the courthouse.

What grounds would an MOE rent-a-cop have to call the police? And if the police come wouldn't they require a warrant of some type to get you to open your hood?

And if the police come wouldn't they require a warrant of some type to get you to open your hood?

No, and then only if there was probable cause to think you where in violation of a criminal law, the responsibility of operating a motor vehicle is a regulated privilege under provincial Motor Vehicle Act (read Big Brother) and is not a right. :mad:

In BC the vehicle inspection and weigh scales have all the authority of a peace officer. In fact their vehicles have "peace officer" on the back of the vehicle to dispel any confusion as to their authority. What really surprises me is that the CP and CN train police also have the authority to give out speeding tickets on highways.

Russ

Hamilton city cop pulled me over 2 years ago and draged me over to inspection lane the mto had set up . lucked out and ministrey guy was a car guy. not much they can do about a 235 6 with a stink tube anyway.Would of been ugly if i would of got one of the snot noised punks he was working with they dint have a clue what they were looking at. All though i was driving the 57 the safety lanes were set up to hit the trucks and guys running to the scrap yards in the area.My only first hand experience so far.

The MOE has the right to inspect your vehilce. If you refuse on whatever grounds they can and will call for police assitance.

Is there anyone here that has an actual documented MOE infractions? That is, a "ticket" with a stated fine?

Or, do you know someone who does and could get a copy?

O'toole had left message asking same question Frank. Know of a few will see if can get something together

Shane

A close friend of mine in his 50's was pulled over by MOE while driving an 82 Malibu. They charged him for not having catalytic converters attached. When he went to court for the 400.00 fine the judge asked him if he had a job?? My friend was surprised at the question and replied, "yes I do". The judge dropped the fine to 100.00 and told him he could go. At no time was he asked anything else and at no time was he told to put converters on the car or bring it back to be reinspected. He never did put the converters on and was not contacted or stopped again. Sounds like a revenue generator to me. I can verify date and time if necessary but it was a couple of years ago.
Jim