Manual Transmission Issues.

GFaRT

Supporting Member
If I had the coin Id send you an M5R2
Im on my 3rd one in Sassy,,
Fred

So what are the weak points of the first two? I'll be using a M5OD R2 in my car and wonder what sort of problems I might have. I bought a bearing, seal and blocker ring kit that I intend to put in before I use it. When I bought the pickup and drove it home, 2nd gear syncro was no good, but otherwise all seemed okay.

For what its worth, I put a M5ODR2 behind a turboed 453 Detroit diesel torque monster in my rat rod. Its still pulling strong with no issues the new owner says.

Well a friend tore the 4 gear synco out of the first one but he wasn't driving it any harder than I did.
Then during the silliness that transpires at the Libby MT. Friday night cruise I split the tranny output yoke and tore the tail shaft up.
First one had 250k on it second was 100k.
Weak Syncos I hear but Engenjo probably knows more.

I'm hoping the split yoke issue was the result of it not being inserted far enough. Mine is in all the way minus 1" and with the IRS there will be no movement. I'll hope for an experience more like Ratrig's.

It may have been, not sure was over 10 years ago.
From what Ive read the M5R2 was built for small trucks and when the Tbird adopted it they changed the style of syncro for smoother shifts but it didn't last as long. Its a massive trans compared to a toploader but I understand not that tough.
Ive been a lot more conservative with this latest one and it has gived me no trouble since install in 10/13.
Fred