Low oil perssure Ford 289

BRACKETEER

Supporting Member
Been trying to figure out what is going on with the 289 engine in My TT truck.
Changed the oil, started the engine , ZERO oil pressure
Disconnected the remote oil filter lines, installed a temporary filter on the block.
Install a second mechanical gauge at the filter, Zero oil pressure.
Dropped the pan, all is very clean ,no metallic or sludge in the pan.
Replaced the oil pump drive shaft, screen.
Started it up and very low oil pressure, 5-8 psi at idle -- 25 - 30 at 1500-200 rpm.
Other than some noise from the left front lifters, there is no other unusual sound coming from the engine.
Engine has approximately 120000 miles on it.
Really not sure if I should drive it.

Any ideas, bearing problem, kind of stumped, as it had good oil pressure( +40)
prior to the oil change.

Thanks,
Brian

I'm not at all familiar with 289s but I think the problem is more likely with the oil pump than downstream in the bearings. Since you replaced the oil pump drive shaft, you probably verified the condition of the shaft ends and that the shaft was correctly seated in the oil pump and the distributor.

Did you check the operation of the relief valve to make sure it's not stuck open?

I would not drive your car until you get the oil system back into proper operation.

Thanks for the reply, I did not really clarify my statement re the pump, intermediate shaft, screen, they all are new. I checked the old pump for operation, and it did pump well.
I was thinking the hoses from the remote oil filter may have separated internally , some material may have got into the block via the return line.
The gauge fluctuates when running the engine.
Next , will remove the hoses and cut them apart to check. Then how do you get the restriction out of the block?

Regards,
Brian

If there is any blockage in the oil passages in the block, your pressure gauge should still register pressure up to the relief valve's setting if the gauge is mounted at the oil pump's discharge.

I have my doubts that blockage in the oil passages would cause the pressure to fluctuate.

Can you use a drill to run the oil pump?

What is the condition of oil pump drive shaft socket in the distributor?

Well after some time thinking about what was going on with the engine, got my buddy to flatbed it to his shop.
Removed the oil pan, and found the gasket between the oil pump and pickup tube hanging out on one side. Dumb mistake on my part!

Initially was unable to get the pan off when I was replacing the oil pump due to the crank position. So I removed the pickup tube to remove the pan.
When I installed the new pump , I installed the pickup tube/screen the same way I took it off. I missed the misaligned gasket and buttoned the job up.
This time around the crank position allowed the pan to clear everything and drop down.
Lesson learned, work from both sides of the engine.
Oil pressure is back to normal, me , a few more grey hairs.

Thanks for the input.

If I recall from a few yrs ago it doesn't hurt to tack the tube on before button up time.