L/H thread on R/H side....Mopar question

shaune

Supporting Member
Finally got back to working outside on the Plymouth. Bought a brake drum from Ebay seeing as how i cracked one trying to remove it improperly. Yay the drum fits, looks different but it fits. Problem is i bought the wrong side brake drum. So now i have 2 good drums with Left hand thread.

My question is; can i run a L/H threaded wheel studs on the R/H side of the car without the bolts loosening off ? Mopar guys know about L/H threaded wheel bolts

shaune,... i'm thinkin' if its tight an' torqued,... it won't be caring at all... do it bud!.......

You are safe, I changed them over on my 66 Charger since I went to disc on the front and they are all right handed now. Just torque them properly and you will be fine.

It is always fun to try to take off the wheel nuts and forget about the leftys..

You may also want to make a note for yourself about the wheel being lefty or some poor sap could be making a lot of work for you with a Impact.

:)

Thanks. I should have remembered which drum i cracked but that was last summer and i got excited when i saw one on Ebay. It looks different but fits okay.
My home made drum puller worked good too, wish i hadn't been so rammy in the first attempt :mad:

Shaune,
why don't you buy some replacement wheel studs and replace all of them with right handed thread???

Rochie, you took the word's right out of my mouth. Change the studs and you will never have to remember which ones are left hand thread.

Carl

All L/H threaded bolts have an easy to see L stamped on the head :D
I would still have to wind a stud into a L/H threaded hole.....or drill and tap it which would make the stud bigger........too much hassle, just look for the L

heh I have a few fond memories of those things didn't know how strong i was snapped a few befor some one told me

All L/H threaded bolts have an easy to see L stamped on the head :D
I would still have to wind a stud into a L/H threaded hole.....or drill and tap it which would make the stud bigger........too much hassle, just look for the L

Like glen said tire shops use impacts.You have a 18 yr old never seen or heard of L/H thread snap off your studs.I'v seen it lots of times being in the tire industry.