Jax40 Model T roadster build

PG409

Supporting Member
Jack will fill in the blanks here. This is the finished car....will download what he started with shortly. Car was shown at Deuce Days and is shown in Canadian Hot Rods Magazine.

WQOwk8pl.jpg

ZZPN3bKl.jpg

IqP5u0Gl.jpg

zrNAkBml.jpg

3zpx9Ykl.jpg

The Start

WLLfYGfl.jpg

Now we just need Jack to tell us the story

Last edited:
What a wonderful feeling you must have with such a beautiful result:cool::cool:

Looks like you had a clear vision from the get go!

Congratulations Jack:cool::cool::cool:

Tim

Wow, that's really really cool. Want to see the story and the build please.

I've seen many track "T"s around the country, and this one is right up there with the finest of them. Your vision mirrors the early days of this type of vehicle.
Well done!

Bgbkwndo.

Thanks

I appreciate all the kind comments. I would really like to do a build thread here and to give credit to all the friends, fellow rodders, and family who participated and contributed over the last nine years. Most important to say it has resided in the back of Al Clark’s DNW shop for the last four plus years and pulled out on Saturday mornings for us amateurs to get a lesson in hot rod building. Without this boost it surely never would have happened.

PG 409 has posted my pictures here and if I can learn that trick a build thread will appear here.

The start

In 2010 my grandson, then 19 years old, comes to Deuce Days and decides he is going to build a hot rod, he goes back home to Edmonton an buys a 51 F1 pickup for a project. I help him to get it back to his house and realize that there is still an intact flathead under the hood. Even better it is still holding antifreeze and it is free, as in not seized. Of course he wants to go the SBC route, so I tell him “don’t you let that flathead out of the family”. Now since the 40 has been on the road for about four years I am dreaming of a Track Tee. This is the trigger. By that fall I have acquired the ZZ 3 out of Al Clark’s Tudor, hauled it to Edmonton, loaded up the flathead and brought it back to Victoria.

The Track Tee Project is underway.

Now we are into it

Terry Grant in New Westminster has the sorry remains of a 26 RPU that appears to have done service as a cockpit for a drag car. I visit him and come home with the body and four 35 Ford wire wheels, two of which have been reduced in diameter to 15” and widened a bunch by the legendary machinest Pete Riemer.

I get the flathead rebuilt at JB Machine shop and assembled by friend Gus McTavish.

At this point my wife takes a picture of me in the driveway with my growing collection of scrap.

I stagger on

During a visit to Clarke (OlRodder) and Cher Pringle in North Carolina and doing a shop crawl, I stumbled (literally) over a 37 Ford tube axle. Anyone as old as me knows that this is an iconic hot rod piece and a must have for a project such as mine. I acquired it.

Instead of doing the obvious and getting it shipped Fed Ex I decided to have a CHR Rodder’s relay. It started with Clarke and ended with Dale Cinnamon (Mica Mountain) delivering it to me in Victoria. Pic above.

And on

At Clarke’s suggestion I had a go at mocking up a frame an undercarriage with 2x4s and plywood. Also commissioned veteran body man and hotrodder Stu Palffrey to start roughing out the body from the remnants and some patch panels from Beaumont Texas.

Also

During another get together with Pringles to see some sprint car racing in the US Midwest, we stopped in Lincoln Nebraska. We visited the Smith museum of Speed at Speedway Motors (a must see for any car guy) and spotted the vintage racer. That settled the colour scheme for my project whenever it might be finished.

The quick change was an early purchase due to the pending closure of the Dick Spadaro speed shop in New York State.