Importing a hot rod / rat rod

I'm trying to get as much info as possible about importing a rat rod/hot rod truck from the USA. I know US customs needs papers 72 hrs in advance along with the title to export .... but does anyone know if Canadian Customs is stingy?

The truck is chopped and channels , no hood, no fenders ... a true hot rod. I'm worried that Customs would give me a hard time or reject the truck at the border, then I'm out thousands of dollars. Is there a certain border crossing comming into Ontario that's better than the rest?

Seems the rules aren't very clear .. many grey areas with a lot of "maybes" . Any help is appreciated.

Hey NRR,

I've brought two cars across.

In 2006 brought my current 41 across as a project car at the Soo crossing. I had all the title cleared by US customs. All the paperwork was in order and Canada customs didn't have any issues at all.

In 2007 brought across a 41 Driver on a dolly at the Detroit crossing. (picked up a trip permit in Windsor and drove it home) Again the title was cleared by US customs. No issues at all with Canada customs, I don't even think they came outside to look at it.

Once you're home and get an appraisal, you can change it over to your name.

Unless things have changed since '07.

If you want to contact me ald4041@gmail.com

Good Luck

Al

Maybe tell them you're bringing it in as a parts vehicle.
Would that work ? ...... I don't know.

Maybe tell them you're bringing it in as a parts vehicle.
Would that work ? ...... I don't know.

I could , but then it could never legally be registered. I thought of doing it that way but once a vehicle is stamped as "Parts" it cannot be registered . I'd have to get a title from a similar vehicle to do so.

Are the border guys inspectors? They're not here. I doubt they'll reject you unless its stolen or something else along that line. I can't comment on how hard it will be to register in your province tho...

Are the border guys inspectors? They're not here. I doubt they'll reject you unless its stolen or something else along that line. I can't comment on how hard it will be to register in your province tho...

From what I've gathered, because it's older than 15 years it won't go through the RIV program , but rather it will go through Canadian Customs and a representative from Transport Canada will look it over. If the truck looked original I'd probably have no issues , but because it's chopped, engine exposed and the paint scheme it'll probably draw extra attention. Getting it to pass inspection here in Ontario I'd have no issue with .

As long as the serial numbers on the paperwork match whats on the truck and havent been messed with I cant see it being a problem. Because of course you will be adding fenders and hood and painting it like an easter egg before putting it on the road .:)

All they care about is your paperwork is correct. The chopped channeled part is of no concern the them, thats what the DOT is paid to worry about. I've imported many cars that were not DOT approved with no issues at all. As long as the title matches the vehicle, and it's not full of cocaine, your golden.