illegal headlights?

R Pope

The local safety guy, and the Mountie, tell us that those headlights with the park light bulbs in them are illegal in Canada, or at least Saskatchewan. Anybody know about this?

I don't think so, just like the cop who told me blue dots were... not! I do not believe there is anything in the code saying that at least I haven't seen anything... ask him to show you where in the act it is? Besides depending on the year of the vehicle it didn't even have front turn signals so it would be an improvement..

Bash

Hey Bash chances are if they are aftermarket they are not D.O.T approved for one reason if the headlite is on makes it hard too see the signal light flashing , most new vechicles that have the headlite close too the signal lite actully cancel out ( turn off the headlite when signal is on ) so that the signal can be seen with out a doubt ,, check out alot of the new dodges i know they do it as well .. and Blue Dot are illeagal in most provinces in canada as they only blue lites allow are on cop cars and emergency vehicles .

and cars have had running lights / park lites since the 20`s which could have been used as signals if someone wanted to covert to that options also unless your car is 100% stock it is concidered a modified vehicle and has too pass differant laws in the D.O.T eyes .. just saying ..

and cars have had running lights / park lites since the 20`s which could have been used as signals if someone wanted to covert to that options also unless your car is 100% stock it is concidered a modified vehicle and has too pass differant laws in the D.O.T eyes .. just saying ..

A bone in Sask. there are no real special regs for pre 57 modifieds, they figure just about anything you do to it is an improvement,, now having said that as all other vehicles if it came with a safety device ie signal lights, rear view mirror, seat belts, maker lights it must have them they still do not allow welded steering or home made suspension parts, but other than that as long as it is safe they don't care.. and this was told to me by the head guy at a face to face meeting.. Now the DOT thing on the headlites would that not apply to the lense only? if its not a sealed unit?
Now as any law this is always open to the interpretation of the officer on the street but if you know the act then at least you have a leg to stand on.

Bash

Last edited:
The local safety guy, and the Mountie, tell us that those headlights with the park light bulbs in them are illegal in Canada, or at least Saskatchewan. Anybody know about this?

...........................like this?...:confused:.......:D:D:D

ledlights.jpg

...........................like this?...:confused:.......:D:D:D

ledlights.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture but they look like the original parking lights . Been using the ones on the my 57 for turn signals and no cops have said anything besides it was still a few years before they came as standerd equipment on trucks along with seatbelts. So if they give you a hard time tell them you will remove them and use arm signals ... nitwits... Iv yet to own a motorcycle thats had turn signals and probley never will been ask every question under the sun about legality of stuff but never had a cop say Iv got to have turn signals.

There are no regulations in any province that changes any year of vehicle to bring it "up to" todays specs even a modified status in bc,eg crash airbags,radial tires,imact bumpers,etc.These items are to be" on year of model" car that is why on the serial # tag it
says this vehicle conforms to all specs of model year,or something like that,it means an 89 Camaro don't need air bags and a 72 vette don't need impact bumpers or even a 64 impala don't need seat belts and there is no way any cop can say this is right or that is wrong because this is not what they are trained for so the higher ups have decided all they can do is have the car sent to an licensed inspector who will read through the section of the manuel that the officer thinks is unlawful and it will read "if the vehicle is equipped with" and of course it was'nt.Now by all means make improvments to your ride that makes it safer for you,your family and others on the road eg disc brakes, two tail lites,etc .Now if your car is a twenty or thirty something vehicle front signals were only offered late in the thirtys as an option so if you have added signals in your headlite bucket you have made an improvement NOT met the standards so as you see the cop didn't know what he was talking about as he was relating your car with his newer model.The dot inspector sat in my shop many times and we would talk about things like this and he was the one that pointed out this to me. This is where I think drive clean here in Ontario is wrong by making us install emission equipment on our cars to meet the year of engine instead of year of car but that is another rant.

Randy

I,m not really sure on the original question , but for an eggsample my bosses 03 benz 550 series has a 194 bulb run at a low voltage to make it look kinda yellowish , it is used as a frt facing marker bulb and is inside the headlight lense about 2 inches from the hd lt bulb . But for a signal bulb it is in the bumper skin ..77.

Not surewhat year vehicle these are on, but was there even a DOT back when the vehicle was new?? If not, don't see how they can force you to have a DOT light on it. But back to the original ??, why are your headlites illegal??

Original post I think this would inclued the newer headlight buckets that have the turn signals built into the lower part of the lenz. I think the original poster should of told them to look up the original purpose for parking lights .

I don't see any reason they would be illegal as the park lites are used while parked and the headlites are used when moving. Ad on turn signals, even placed in the headlite bucket usually use an amber bulb. I can't see where they would be against added safety items.

"S.A.E./D.O.T. stamped on the lens" seems to be the byword here, but as far as I am concerned this 'issue' might be considered kind of a 'safety upgrade'???

I run those headlights with signals inside on the T ---no headaches so far ?? never knew be an issue till now reading this--Agreed is update on safety IMO