Hot Rod registration in B.C.

hi everyone, i'm new here but certainly not new to building hot rods. i built my first car when i was 18 i'm now 49. i have a question for anyone who can give me anything in the way of advice. i built a model a woody sedan delivery hot rod from scratch. it's built on an '85 toyota pickup frame. i fabricated all of the body parts myself. here's the problem. i'm trying to register it in bc. my car seems to have fallen between a crack in the system. i got a vin number from icbc classified as a homebuilt 2010 model, seems good so far. supposedly all i needed once i got that was an inspection and weight certificate. sounds simple enough. took it to a local inspection facility. the owner informed me that he can't pass it as a 2010 model because it doesn't meet the safety requirements of a 2010. he said it needed to have a vin number as a kit/replicar. icbc says it doesn't qualify because it doesn't have any kit parts. so i have built a car which took 8 years to build and apparently it doesn't fit into a catagory that they can assign a vin to. so no reggy. now what, anyone? does anyone know of a hot rod friendly inspection facility in bc? preferably in the cariboo or lower mainland? any other ideas?

I did an inspection on a 68 mack cab on a 97 dodge chasis last week and icbc called it either a mack modified or a dodge modified--just pick one so the owner picked mack modified--went and got a new vin tag and away he went--i don't know why they are making it tough for you--i think you have to get somewhere they know what they are doing --the make was modified and the model was mack--that's how they wanted the paper work done

there's a last resort at ICBC they are usually very helpfull the # is i-800-663-3051 and ask for last resort

the other way is a guy that addvertises in the auto trader think he charges 500 bucks but he allways comes through!!

being new here do us a favor and do an intro I meen you tecknicly all ready did but in the wrong place

Last edited:
there's a last resort at ICBC they are usually very helpfull the # is i-800-663-3051 and ask for last resort

the other way is a guy that addvertises in the auto trader think he charges 500 bucks but he allways comes through!!

being new here do us a favor and do an intro I meen you tecknicly all ready did but in the wrong place

M-AZ-Enterprises 604-328-9365 , Mark for registry

i have certified some hotrods here in ptp country and it is not that big of a deal,just certify it as whatever the vehicle was and ie 78 dodge,apply for new bc assigned vin,as modified 78doge they will send the vin to your facility of choice they wiill certify it and presto legitamite reggy.just dont take it to a facility if it isnt ready.most inspectors ,myself included get pissy when asked to decal something thats not right.you will be surprised how easy it is ifyou just jump thru the rite hoops!!ask uglee33 and tiny tin it was relatively painless!!

I've used Mark Zomar yrs. ago when I resided in BC and had papers and registration in no time flat. Expect to pay a few hundred $$ for his service.

I've used Mark Zomar yrs. ago when I resided in BC and had papers and registration in no time flat. Expect to pay a few hundred $$ for his service.

I used Mark to do my '49 this spring. The only way to fly. I paid $300.00 and he did the work. In a couple weeks we were driving it. No muss no fuss.

Thanks everyone, for your input. So am I to understand it would be best to register it as a modified '85 Toyota? What about my current B.C. applied VIN registered as a U-built that is sitting in limbo at icbc? can they just change it? Hunter, you are in Kamloops, about 2 hrs from me, will you do my inspection. I believe the car is safe. It has lights, signals, brakelights, seatbelts, fenders, etc. etc. Is there anything specific that you will look for? someone mentioned I need a fan to defog the windshield as well as sun visors, is that true? what about the one time permit for inspection, where do i get that?

unfortunately I can only inspect trucks and buses--over 5500kg--you need someone and a facility that can do smaller vehicles--wish I could help you--it is easy

Alright, looks like I've got his resolved, so far. I met a guy at the local show and shine who had clearly a homebuilt model a-ish looking pickup. he had bc applied VIN as 2010 u-built just like mine. he said he went to thunderhorse garage in chilliwack for inspection and had no problems. i called thunsderhorse, spoke with Tim the owner. he actually contacted the head inspecter who told him that it was no problem registering as 2010 u-built. anyways meanwhile neil taylor, the guy at icbc contacted me and asked if i wanted my VIN sent to another facility. i asked him to send it to thunderhorse. looks to me like the guy i took my car to here in town is the only person on the planet who thinks this is a problem. just my luck. oh well, at this point i don't care i just want to drive.

Yahoo! Finally got my BC applied VIN number and it gets even better. I was able to get a permit to drive to and from the inspection. I drove all the way from Forest Grove to Chilliwack, got inspection done at Thunderhorse garage, passed the inspection and drove all the way home. The ol' woody never missed a beat the whole way. It was over 35 degrees in the canyon, it never even got hot. I went from driving up and down the road a couple of times to driving over 800 kms in less than 48hrs. I am one happy little hot rodder.

Yahoo! Finally got my BC applied VIN number and it gets even better. I was able to get a permit to drive to and from the inspection. I drove all the way from Forest Grove to Chilliwack, got inspection done at Thunderhorse garage, passed the inspection and drove all the way home. The ol' woody never missed a beat the whole way. It was over 35 degrees in the canyon, it never even got hot. I went from driving up and down the road a couple of times to driving over 800 kms in less than 48hrs. I am one happy little hot rodder.

Congrats on that one, Modelawoody. Now I suppose you might have a few pics to show off all the hard work, eh?? We love pics around here!