Help in Identifying Front Suspension

gweislein

I bought my car with the front suspension/steering installed. I figure it's a ford of some type. But I need a drivers' side tie-rod end, and don't know what to order (other than removing it and taking it to a ford dealer, in hopes that they can identify it). Added link to photos of the suspension and steering, in IMGUR, below.

Last edited:
Any hints on how to identify the rack/suspension? Any questions that may help lead me in the right direction?

Last edited:
What bolt pattern is it?

5 x 4 1/2" Ford/Dodge

5 x 4 3/4" GM

Will narrow it down a bit.
Thank you for the question. I am not sure, off the top of my head, what the bolt pattern/size is, but they are Ford brake callipers. I'll measure when I am home this weekend, and reply with the size.

Last edited:
The guy you bought it from couldn't tell you what it is?

No build book/documentation?

The guy you bought it from couldn't tell you what it is?

No build book/documentation?
Bought it at an estate sale, so the previous owner couldn't tell me much :(. I have a build binder for everything done by the previous owner, but the rack and front suspension were already in when he got it.

Ah...guess it would be difficult to have a chat with him.

Some other questions.
Is the frame update just the crossmember, A-arms, etc. or is it a total front clip welded in?

Ah...guess it would be difficult to have a chat with him.

Some other questions.
Is the frame update just the crossmember, A-arms, etc. or is it a total front clip welded in?
Complete custom frame, so no complete front clip replacement (from another vehicle). Guessing at cross member, A-arms, etc, replaced as package. At this point, all I know is that they are Ford callipers. The rack & pinion could be from something else, too.

Complete custom frame, so no complete front clip replacement (from another vehicle). Guessing at cross member, A-arms, etc, replaced as package. At this point, all I know is that they are Ford callipers. The rack & pinion could be from something else, too.

The Callipers are most likely from the Granada's, that was a popular conversion.
If so, then the power Rack & Pinion may most likely be from a Mustang V8. the power steering set up would help that too if its a ford pump and reservoir.
That's just a WAG and I wouldn't hang my hat on it. Mind you, I once had a chev system with a Mustang power rack & pinion with a pressure reducer. (chevs operate at a higher pressure than fords)

Part numbers would definitely be of help or any kind of identification to try and narrow this down.

Last edited:
I bought my car with the front suspension/steering installed. I figure it's a ford of some type. But I need a drivers' side tie-rod end, and don't know what to order (other than removing it and taking it to a ford dealer, in hopes that they can identify it). Added link to photos of the suspension and steering, in IMGUR, below.

Those A arms look a lot like Corvair to me? How old is this build? Corvair use to be a popular front end swap in the older rods.

Last edited:
The Callipers are most likely from the Granada's, that was a popular conversion.
If so, then the power Rack & Pinion may most likely be from a Mustang V8. the power steering set up would help that too if its a ford pump and reservoir.
That's just a WAG and I wouldn't hang my hat on it. Mind you, I once had a chev system with a Mustang power rack & pinion with a pressure reducer. (chevs operate at a higher pressure than fords)

Part numbers would definitely be of help or any kind of identification to try and narrow this down.
I am guessing that the build is pretty old, but never driven. The rack and pinion were in, but nothing else (no column or shaft). Not sure what the pump and reservoir are, either. Here are some more pics. The only part stamp that I could find was on the rack. It looks to be: 7817S55, or 7817555. But nothing came up on google. Here are some more pics:

Those A arms look a lot like Corvair to me? How old is this build? Corvair use to be a popular front end swap in the older rods.
I am guessing that the build is pretty old. I googled some Corvair front suspensions, and they did look pretty similar. I have a buddy with a couple of Corvairs, so I'll take a look, first hand. Thanks for giving me a direction to follow :)

Thank you. I'll take a look. AMC may make sense, since Nash eventually turned into AMC (if my memory serves me correctly). May have been an easier fit.
I think you nailed it! Found this post from an AMC Pacer front suspension, with a Mustang II Rack. Opposite sides, but the top A arm, sway bar, tie rod look exact. Now I just need to figure out the years :)

Manufactured from 1975 to 1979 with model sell out in 1980.

Don't think they changed the suspension too much over time.

If the front end has a Mustang power rack, probably the suspension is from the later years 1978 -'79 Pacers.

Manufactured from 1975 to 1979 with model sell out in 1980.

Don't think they changed the suspension too much over time.

If the front end has a Mustang power rack, probably the suspension is from the later years 1978 -'79 Pacers.
Thank you. You are absolutely correct. They didn't change much in that time frame. I am guessing that mine is a 1979 AMC Pacer cross member and front suspension, with matching Power Rack. I looked at 1979 Pacer Power Racks, and to me it looks identical. Found a number stamped on the outer Tie-Rod end (2044-R), which matches to AMC Pacer, and another number on the Tie-Rod end that is something like 79-726 or 79-736. So I think that my mystery is solved. Thank you to all for your input, thoughts and direction :). Now I can order some outer Tie-Rod ends, and some rack rebuild parts (leaking a bit on both ends).

Most rodders use the mustang 2 front rack .
If it is rear steer they use dodge omni rack .
I would look at the tie rod ends for either of these racks