HELP! BC & ON insurance complications

NOCHE 53

Hi, folks.
Brand new guy here looking for some help from the "experts." :cool:

This week I flew out to BC from my ON home and purchased a '53 Chevy 3100 that was earlier modified and was currently registered and insured in BC.

-- I transferred the ownership into my name and bought a 3-day temporary permit from BC which included ICBC insurance to drive it to the custom rod shop in Langley, BC, where some major upgrades will be done.

-- When the work is done, I will fly back to BC to pick up my dream ride and drive home to ON.

1. During the work at the rod shop in BC, I cannot purchase ICBC restoration/garage insurance because I am an ON resident without a BC address. They said I should have left the title in the name of the original owner until I had the custom work completed. But that idea put up a whole lot of red flags for me...

2. My ON car insurer will not insure me because the vehicle is not yet registered in ON. It would need to be here first for that and I would need to also have a Safety Certificate. They will not insure "unfit" vehicles; only vehicles registered as roadworthy.

3. When I drive home from BC I can again by a temporary permit and insurance from ICBC but I will only be covered for the book value of a 53 Chevy pickup and that is next to nothing. I estimate the truck will be worth about $40,000 when done. ICBC said they could do an agreed-value type appraisal etc. but they said they would take at least 2 months once the vehicle is completely done.....

Does anyone have a solution for me? I called a Hagerty rep on their 1-800 line and he said they couldn't help because I was an ON resident with a vehicle registered in BC....

The vehicle is at the rod shop now and I have absolutely NO comprehensive insurance on it. I'm basically self-insured.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I'm hopeful that someone else has navigated through a similar problem.

:rolleyes:

If I understand this right, the car truck is registered to you in B.C.

I think the only thing you can do is plate and insure it in B.C., that would give you comprehensive, if only at book value, better then nothing. Then search some more for third party appraised valve insurance.

Would the shop insure it (at your expense) with them and you named as policy owners. Get it in writing if so. As you have found out there is a great black hole here, an uninsured registered vehicle is not covered by contents insurance of a house/shop policy. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Ray, but I cannot permanently plate a vehicle in BC without having a permanent address...
And further to your black hole warning, my ON agent said they will never cover an "unfit" vehicle (one that doesn't have safety check for being on the road) and that you cannot even cover such vehicles under your house insurance because "vehicles" are excluded. That also means ATVs, snowmachines, motor boats, jet skis, etc......
But you can buy insurance for a movie starlets legs....... ;)

Hopefully the shop has insurance. I would consider having it shipped back if you can find a shipper that will insure it at an agreed value while in their care.

Sheldon

I got insurance through Lant//Hagerty on my car, same value as yours. I have had full road coverage for a year and a half now and it isn't together yet.
No safety just needed to be appraised.

Thanks, Ray, but I cannot permanently plate a vehicle in BC without having a permanent address...)

I was going to suggest that you might use the shop‘s address BUT on another site I once, in good faith effort to be helpful, suggested something (that is very common) that might be considered consulting to commit fraud, and was disciplined. SO thanks to the politically correct thought police of the world you are on your own buddy, with thanks to the Canadian mod on Ford Truck Enthusiasts Site (the traitor)! It is always somewhat ironic how various regulations don’t stop the crooks but turn honest people into criminals........ All you want is insurance! :eek: .........End of rant.:)

But you can buy insurance for a movie starlets legs.......

Now that makes perfect sense to me! :eek:

I got insurance through Lant//Hagerty on my car, same value as yours. I have had full road coverage for a year and a half now and it isn't together yet.
No safety just needed to be appraised.
Yup, Sandy, but I suspect that both you and the vehicle are in the same province. My situation has become incredibly complicated because the truck is being worked on in BC and I live in ON.
I've put a call in to the head guy with Hagerty Canada to see if I'm missing something obvious to resolve this. I'll let everyone know what transpires and thanks all for the advice. ;)

Hi, everybody, and thanks for all of the input.
I have finally resolved it, after speaking directly with supervisors at both Hagerty and ICBC and Ontario MTO.....
While the truck is under restoration/modification at the shop in B.C., Hagerty is covering things even though I live in Ontario and have the truck in a B.C. shop and still registered as a B.C. vehicle. Hagerty will re-evaluate periodically as the work is done, upping the coverage as value increases.
When it's time to bring it home to Ontario, ICBC will issue 3rd-party liability insurance with the 15-day temporary permit and Hagerty coverage will be for the comprehensive side of things.
Before I come home I will also transfer the vehicle into "unfit" Ontario status, locking in the sales tax on the value before the updates. When I arrrive in Ontario I will then get safety certificate and plates for the road.
All sides have agreed that this will work in my unique situation and I thank all of you for your input and advice.... ;)