Heater Issue

CalgaryRodder

Supporting Member
Does anyone know which way the heater fan should turn in a 1950 Ford truck? I was thinking my motor was wired backwards. When the fan is switched on and the doors to the heater are open paper will stick against the heater core. My impression was the fan should blow air through the heater core. When you have the fan turning in this direction there is no air coming out of the defrost ports. When you have the fan sucking air through the heater core then there is air blowing out the defrost ports.

You need to try and find a wiring diagram. Does the switch compensate for this?

Not that I have a vast knowledge of auto heaters but I have never seen one that sucks the air through the fins,,,,always blows the air through to the vents.

Not what you are asking but in my 48-50 F47 I just went to the local industrial parts place & bought a fork lift heater. Small, unobtrusive & easy to mount & wire in. Never even thought about a defroster as In sunny, Van Isle what is ice????

Well I took Keith's advise and pulled the wiring diagrams. I have the heater wired to a Cole Hersee switch that is mounted under the dash. I also have the original switch mounted in the truck. The original switch is a 5 position switch, reverse high, low, off, forward low, high. The switch actually changes the polarity of the motor and reverses it which makes sense now. On defrost the motor reverses and pulls heated air through the heater core to the defrost ports. On heat the air is pushed through the heater core. I have now purchased a DPDT switch to allow the defrost to work and the heater. Because the motor is only a 2 wire motor I have only high reverse and high forward. Oh well it works now. Electrical is not my strong point but it was fun learning all this.