Gotta noise…

JohnnyBgood

Supporting Member
kind of a low growl or rubbing noise coming from drivers side when I’m doing 80kl. or higher..I’m guessing a wheel bearing but the car only has about 7000 on it…can they wear out that quick?

Oh I bet they can go for shit in short order…you were playing with front end alignment last year for a while too weren’t you?
I would also be looking at other stuff that may be moving with wind force, (on newer cars, inner fender liners or air ducts). I have seen this on my stuff before.
Good luck, looking forward to hearing what you find.

Seems to have started shortly after I changed the alignment. Everything else is tight. I’m guessing the offset in the front rims don’t help either. Pretty sure they are the culprit..going to change them and see what happens. Not much luck with local suppliers..cars apparently too old …1975 nova parts...might have to order them from the states.

So I went and bought new bearings…took off the rotors and brakes.Bearing didn’t look bad at all..I didn’t feel any metal shavings in the grease..but I did find this. Not sure what would cause this..looks like it was sitting in water for a couple of years…cheap metal?..any ideas?
305EF4BE-EB04-45C5-B0A3-2F48FDE804A8.jpeg

The dark spots are actually small holes that I can stick a wire into…gotta be a crappy casting

Thinking about it now I’m not surprised . I had bought the nova clip and the Camaro rear from the same guy. He told me that they were rebuilt a year ago. When I got around to checking the rear I found oily water where there should have been grease. Axles were so pitted I couldn’t reuse them..never would have taken a seal. gears were junk too. If the spindles were that bad when I put them on I can’t believe that I didn’t notice their condition…shit..shit..shit..

Can’t believe what a hard time I’m having to find a stock height unit..all kinds of 2 In drop..none stock…

I would want to replace those spindles…at very least clean up one bearing and see if there is any movement, rocking, on the bearing surface….or better yet measure that all up….looks like it may not make the cut. Sucks, but that could have been adding to some of your (car) issues.

So I changed the bearing and races..old inner bearing seemed good and outer felt like it had sand in it..little crunchy. Anyways I’m thinking that old spindle looks bad. Other than the seal on the back of the rotor there is nothing that turns on it. Rides on the bearing and race. Too pitted to clean up the surface that the seal sits on. It’s all back together but I’m still thinking that the knuckle is done…or maybe it’s still good..probably not..

Seller is squeezing me..now wants double…i need them but it’s a principle thing now..my search continues.

Do you know what vehicles they would have been on ? I have a friend a few miles from me with about 800 scrap cars .

Last edited:
X body. 1975 to 79 nova ..olds omega..has to be disk brake. Really only need drivers side..but will take a set just incase. Thanks