Gear selector shaft 200-4R/700R4

Ken47

Supporting Member
Is the gear sector shaft in a 200-4R the same part as in a 700R4? I can’t get the shaft seal to not leak in my 200-4R so I’m thinking I may need to replace the shaft with a new one. 700R4 parts appear to be more readily available than parts for the 200-4R
Thanks.

Good day Ken. I can’t answer your question 100%, I do know that a transmission rebuilder may inter swap parts to get a better fit. The TH350 on the Model A needed a new seal, and the better choice wasn’t even a Chevy part.
Good luck.
Greg

Thanks Greg for your comment. I took a little inspiration from your comment and the pics below show what I did as a temporary fix

gIoh31at.jpg

the selector shaft seal

O2Y6IIht.jpg

I put two O-rings in on top of the lip seal

nf266ENt.jpg

I put a flat washer in to compress the O-rings a bit. This approach likely only works because of the splined Kugel komponents shift arm adapter holds the washer against the O-rings.

3PvrEFTt.jpg

the assembly with the Kugel shifter arm installed

3Nyctgdt.jpg

finished!

If I had a lathe I would make a collar to retain the OD of the O-rings, but I don't.... So far this jury-rigged solution is keeping the fluid in the transmission. I know O-rings are not the best for a shaft that moves so I'm not sure how long it will last, but it only takes 10 minutes to replace 25 cents worth of O-rings!!!:)

Last edited:
So, for all you skeptics out there that thought my jury-rigged solution would never work all I can say is, you were right. LOL. So I guess I’m back to doing the job right. I’ll keep you all posted on my success or lack there of. This truly has been the transmission from hell. A new selector shaft from the US is $50, but they only ship in the USA. The hunt continues LOL.

Thanks Ray. I agree. I took my jury-rigged set up out today and pulled the seal out. It got damaged when we installed it. The selector shaft actually looks ok. I put a new seal in. I’m going to wait a day or two to see if it leaks before putting everything back together.

Success!!! No leakage as of this morning. I guess I tend to overthink the issues and problems 😄. My son accuses me of that all the time😄