Gauges for Computerized EFI 5.0 liter

Mercray

Hi All. I am new here and looking for some expertise.
I have a few questions. I am considering swapping an engine in my 48 Merc pickup. I will be installing an electronic fuel injected 5.0 liter(302 cu.in.) engine from a ford truck. The question is what do I have to do with the gauges in my dash to hook up the electronic system? I know I will need a light for the "Check Engine" light for diagnostics from the computer but what about the other oil pressure, voltage and fuel gauges? I see there are aftermarket gauge panels and gauge sets to update from the original but will they work with the computerized system. Do I use mechanical or electronic gauges? Can I use the senders already in the engine or will I need to swap to match the new gauges, I am sure I will but how do I know which sender to use for a new gauge.
Any help will be appreciated. I am not the smartest with electronics

The gauges in a 5.0 are not tied to the computer. Any mechanical or electrical will work. Only the sensors are attached to the computer. Does that make sense?

Welcome to the site.

Hum, interesting. I am also going to do a 5.0 EFI swap with a similar situation soon, but as I haven’t done it yet so I know dick all ………..and might not after……………. other than “why did I do this”.

One thing I do knows; in not so subtle attempt to confuse us and show how smart they are, the auto electronics people, second only to the aviation world, use more acronyms (abbreviations) than you can imagine.

So let’s keep this simple to start with, because it is going to get complicated soon. There really is two ways to go,

Use all the original donor engine gauges and sending units as they are calibrated for each other and incorporate them into your dash somehow (or ……..really far out ……………use the donor dash)

OR use aftermarket gauges and SENDING units that operate independently of the original circuits, the gauges will not care but the computer might require some high tech trickery.

But what will probably happen is an unholy combination of the two.

Challenge: There was a guy on the “ford truck enthusiasts” (FTE) forum called “TIP 49” or something like that from Calgary, that did this project, search for his posts? What gas tank (and sender) are you going to use, the smelly one behind the seat or (as in the above forum) there is (used to be) a sticky post about a rear mustang tank under bed install. That’s what I used with aftermarket fuel sender.

I look forward to following your adventure!

I have a ‘51 F1 shop truck with autometer gauges but an older (not EFI)engine.

The year of the donor truck may make a difference in your approach. What year is it, and are you using the transmission as well? Auto or manual?

If it's an auto, later trucks used the AOD-E, which is electronically controlled. If it's the earlier AOD it could either have a mechanical speedometer cable or an electronic sender, but you'd just need to determine which you have and select an appropriate aftermarket speedometer.

Gauges

Had the same issue with my 46 Olds. 6v -v- 12v

I had the instruments rebuilt with modern VDO movements so they retained the OEM look and changed the amps to volts, increased the water temperature, oil pressure and speedometer. Had to add a new decal on the face. Also did the clock in the glove lid and tacho to match. For all intents and purposes they are OEM. :D