full floating axle

Yes pack them like a front wheel bearing. I did exactly the same thing with jeep front spindles.

i have built a axle for my trailer from a 3/4 ton truck rear, it is the full floater kind with the wheel and bearing rides on a spindle instead of the axle itself, the problem is the wheel bearings used to get lube from the centre section which is now gone, wondering if a person could pack the bearings much the same way the front spindle is?

I don't know much about this stuff but here is the diff that I took out of my Bombardier snowmobile. The spindle axle has splines that fit into the carrier. The bearing is held in place with the bolt on flange at the ends. There is a seal just inside that to keep the oil in the diff & the grease packed around the bearing. Notice the grease fittings near the ends. Would any of this help you ????

PICT1001-1.jpg

bomberdiff002.jpg

Whats the trailer being used for ?
Why don't you leave the carrier in the housing, then if you want to use the trailer behind a tractor you can put a drive shaft from power take-off to the axle and have a power trailer, great for in the woods..

Your right,just cut the axle tubes about 6 inches to the center from the spring pads and slide them into a slightly larger tube' that way you can make it the proper width,and it will be stiaght,seal the inner axle tube,pack the bearings, bolt on the cut off axle and vola an inexpensive,lightweight, HEAVY DUTY axle:D

Randy

you can cut the tubes off or you can weld a plate in the axle tube and seal it the cover plate you made too bolt up to the axle you can drill a hole in and use it too fill the hub and bearing with oil less friction and easyer too pull