Fuel Stabilizers

351CFalcon

Supporting Member
Interesting article for this time of the year.

Is your fuel stabilizer actually hurting your car?

The article also brings up the subject of gasolines.
In the USA, ethanol is highly utilized whereas in Canada, provincial regulation deems the amount and in what grade(s).

And not all refiners are equal.
For example:
Calgary Co-op gasolines (regular and Premium) ex Regina refinery do not have ethanol.
Costco Premuim has no ethnaol. (Regular does)
Shell Premuim has no ehtnaol (Regular does)

Esso, Petro-Canada, etc all have at least 10% in their Regular grades and a smaller amount in their Premiums, around 5%.

The one unkown is Chevron in BC and somewhat in AB, can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Last edited:
Lots of different ideas and what works for different people. Not sure there is a hard positive. For sure this ethanol gives grief eventually but I have not experienced it yet. Sleds, boat, seadoo, lawnmower snowblower etc all get run dry and then tanks emptied. No problems for me yet.
When I bought my new snowblower the dealer recommended their fuel...small engine fuel of some fancy blend, smelt like avgas. $75 for 3 gallons:eek:, I run premium in all small engines and no problems.

OK, I know things may be different here's but this is what I do. I use non ethanol in everything I own that uses rubber fuel lines. For yard equipment/generator/etc. automatically gets sta-bil but not the vehicles. I try to at least start the vehicles, let them run for a few minutes or take a little drive around the neighborhood once a month or so, also try to keep fuel tanks at half or better. Before non ethanol was available here (now for the boat guys as the ethanol was eating up engines/tanks etc. and they were talking about suing) every few months I would smell gas in the garage and sure enough a rubber fuel line would be eaten through! I talked with my auto supply guys if any rubber lines would stand up to ethanol and was told NO.

OK, I know things may be different here's but this is what I do. I use non ethanol in everything I own that uses rubber fuel lines. For yard equipment/generator/etc. automatically gets sta-bil but not the vehicles. I try to at least start the vehicles, let them run for a few minutes or take a little drive around the neighborhood once a month or so, also try to keep fuel tanks at half or better. Before non ethanol was available here (now for the boat guys as the ethanol was eating up engines/tanks etc. and they were talking about suing) every few months I would smell gas in the garage and sure enough a rubber fuel line would be eaten through! I talked with my auto supply guys if any rubber lines would stand up to ethanol and was told NO.

Ethanol is a huge problem, can't really get away from it as its in most gasolines now.
And I believe the Fed Gov't is looking at increasing the percentage mandated now.
A few Provincial gov'ts allow up to 15%.
Ethanol has an infinitey for water, hence fuel stabilizers keep the water in suspension.
There are a few exceptions:
All Calgary Co-op gas, Costco Premium and Shell Premium, Chevron 94 do not have ethanol.

Last edited:
Last year I travelled through the states and came back into Canada in Alberta. Im sure the gas in the States allows up to 20 % . Got into Banff and the seals on my fuel filter were eaten out by the ethanol and the gas was sprayed all over the road and shoulder before I stopped. RCMP came by and told me I had just caused a environmental hazardous spill in a provincial park and I could be fined up to $5000. I must have lost about 10 gallons of gas before I realized I was spraying it on the road. Good thing gas evaporates really quick and was pretty much gone after a few minutes...i think the newer vehicles are made to handle the ethanol

Not important, but I think Banff is a national park.
Considering of all of your trials and tribulations would it be unreasonable to maybe suggest that for the protection of yourself and the rest of the world that you might limit your adventures a little or update your fleet? ;)

Morning all: Don't want to add any more bad to this already crazy ethanol thing but here is another thing thing to watch for. Here we have a saying 'pick your pets, cats or rats' as it's a great environment for rats. Part of the green deal by auto companies was to use soy based wiring insulation, I do not know if fuel lines of some manufactures followed but I know some people here that have had both chewed through. It's not a huge problem if you follow basic precautions but I have found the start of rats nests on the intake of my Jeep if it sits too long and we do have cats. Just more to watch as I know you guys put stuff away for a few months.