fORD O MATIC

al37ford

Supporting Member
Any old ford transmission guru's on here? The converter cover on my '57 is bleeding red! I'm told it's cuz the converter sat so long (40yrs) it drained out & filled the trans so when I drained & refilled i didn't leave enough time for the new stuff to get in so the front bushing is likely scored & wobbled the seal. Sound reasonable? Not fun if I have to pull the engine/trans out in a carport.

Sounds about right Al, I think that is what I had in my Galaxie with a 352. I always either fill the converter or just fill it right up and let the thing sit for a couple of days, bugger, oh well mate maybe a trans shop would be the way to go to get it done. Rather than you having to rumage around. Just lately I have been getting the odd jobs done outside because my back and things go wrong with me if I have to lay on the concrete for very long. I have been looking at getting a 2 post hoist because it drives me crazy what happens.

Sounds about right Al, I think that is what I had in my Galaxie with a 352. I always either fill the converter or just fill it right up and let the thing sit for a couple of days, bugger, oh well mate maybe a trans shop would be the way to go to get it done. Rather than you having to rumage around. Just lately I have been getting the odd jobs done outside because my back and things go wrong with me if I have to lay on the concrete for very long. I have been looking at getting a 2 post hoist because it drives me crazy what happens.
Thanks John, geeez, if I was to get a two post hoist here first raise in the carport would give a whole new meaning to bubbletop!!

... I don't have them figured either ... I do know if I drive my 57 fairly regular it doesn't leak at all but let it set for 2 or 3 months it bleeds all over .. I put all new seals in when I did the engine so I must have missed something or screwed it up cause it never changed a thing:)