Ford 68-360cid point distributor

552drpost

Can any one tell me if I can use a electronic dist. from a 77- 460 in a 68 360 and if it is posible what componants do I have to change. I don't recall but the 360 and the 460 are differant block casting are they not????? :confused: Which would probably be noway?

Nope: The 360 is an "FE" engine, a 460 is not.....but the last year or two of pickups (76?? or so) that used the 390 (which is an FE) had electronic ignition. You might be farther ahead to buy the pertronix bits and convert the dizzy you have....

James

Thanks James Where would I find more info on the pertronix ? this is the first I've heard of it but sounds like what I need. Would be nice to get rid of the points.

Thanks for the help guys. I did buy a Pertronix change over kit and put it in.:D Now need to change the cap, rotor and wires, which I have, and dig out the firing order:confused: as I clumsily pulled some wires out of the cap and put them back in the wrong holes.:eek: then set the firing order clockwise (WRONG) :eek: gave up for today and will go back at it tomorow. It has been so long since I did any of this shit on a gas engine I can't believe what I've forgotten lol lol but as I sit here reading what everyone else is up to it makes me realize just how much I missed it:)

Thanks for the help guys. I did buy a Pertronix change over kit and put it in.:D Now need to change the cap, rotor and wires, which I have, and dig out the firing order:confused: as I clumsily pulled some wires out of the cap and put them back in the wrong holes.:eek: then set the firing order clockwise (WRONG) :eek: gave up for today and will go back at it tomorow. It has been so long since I did any of this shit on a gas engine I can't believe what I've forgotten lol lol but as I sit here reading what everyone else is up to it makes me realize just how much I missed it:)

Told ya those Fords work backwards!!
Led.

Protronix are Awsome

The other fellow is totally right 460, 429 dist. is different depth & size from the FE engine dis. All the inners will interchange & can be swapped back & forth & I use to run several Ford's shifting around 6800rpm with no break down or point float because I used Accel points with the stiffer spring but now days I get a little lazy sometimes & use Protronix & have nothing to say but good. I actually just installed a Protronix in an old Mallory dual point in a 327 I built for my father & I was banging off 7000rpm just the other day out infront of my house. If you would like a little more juice if you have a ballast resistor eliminate it with the Protronix you don't need it if you're running a good strong coil. I usually run a Mallory or an Accel Super Stock (not Accel Super coil which are junk) an Accel Super Stock coil. Good luck & you're going to love that Protronix.
Can any one tell me if I can use a electronic dist. from a 77- 460 in a 68 360 and if it is posible what componants do I have to change. I don't recall but the 360 and the 460 are differant block casting are they not????? :confused: Which would probably be noway?