Flathead merc

dennis

I have 53 merc flathead-had the crank machined . Is it necessary to have crank balanced . Anyone run into problems concerning this. My flathead has a mild cam and 4 barrel

Probably not...they don't really rev high enough to worry about that.

Having said that, I remember reading an article in a very old rod magazine, likely around 1960 or so, where they described how they balanced the various parts of the rotating assembly just using a gram scale. It seemed a little crude, but effective.

Why not see if you can get a quote and if it doesn't scare you too much, go for it.

My boys and I watched a crank being balanced at Richmond Racing Engines a few months ago. Fairly simple operation with the right equipment. I admit I was somewhat surprised when they used an angle grinder to remove the metal from the counterweights. But it worked, and rapidly too.

Yes I agree with Coco for a regular rebuild no balance is necessary but if you wanted a very smooth engine at all rpm's then yes have it done. I've built a bunch of sbc and it make a lot of difference,at least to me,to balance them.

Randy

Yes I agree with Coco for a regular rebuild no balance is necessary but if you wanted a very smooth engine at all rpm's then yes have it done. I've built a bunch of sbc and it make a lot of difference,at least to me,to balance them.

Randy

There's no doubt that with the Chevy balancing is a big help. But then you are typically talking of a much bigger motor and a whole lot more revs.

My first two cars were 1950 Meteors with the old 239 flatheads. Don't worry, I eventually learned not to do that again! Can't remember what they revved to, but it sure wasn't much.

To make matters worse, my first rod build was a '36 ford flathead, about 85 h.p. if I recall, in a model A roadster pickup.

I should ask Al C if his flathead is balanced in his shoebox, It runs pretty smoothly.

Thanks for the input guys. Motor is presently together with a wide B belt front crank pulley on it now. Looks like its very light gauge steel. No weight to it ,just concerns me since other guys Ive known have gone to the trouble of balancing the crank. Live in Tbay no facility here that does it ,might not be worth the trouble.

I have 53 merc flathead-had the crank machined . Is it necessary to have crank balanced .

Dennis, you should talk to "flatcat" in Regina, I think he is one of the gurus of flatties. Search and read some of his posts.

Unfortunately we do not have personal messaging but if you started a new post to his attention you might find him.

I have sent an email to Al C regarding your crankshaft. Haven't heard back yet. I will let you know as soon as I do. He may even post here...who knows?

Dennis, you should talk to "flatcat" in Regina, I think he is one of the gurus of flatties. Search and read some of his posts.

Unfortunately we do not have personal messaging but if you started a new post to his attention you might find him.

Agreed .Flatcat knows his flatheads for sure .Wish we had a guy like that in Tbay Still trying to find my way around here so having difficulty contacting him

I heard from Al C...he's apparently up to his ass in alligators...and yes, he thinks you would be a wise man to balance your crank.

Sorry guys , I was gone for a while. Asbestosis lungs but doing better all the time. If you are rebuilding an engine you may not " need" to balance if it was smooth before. If you are replacing cam I would certainly think about it. That said I balance all my engines.

Flathead Balance

If you are rebuilding an engine you may not " need" to balance if it was smooth before. If you are replacing cam I would certainly think about it. That said I balance all my engines.

Mike Bishop; another flathead expert, is a firm believer of a full balance.