Flathead Machine Shops

BC_Blowby

Hello Everyone,

I’m planning to do a Flathead rebuild in the near future (first one) but there is only so much of the work I feel I can tackle myself.
I’m not to sure where to start with this and I’m a bit leary about cold calling machine shops only to wind up with someone saying they can do it and at the end of the day actually can’t.

Does anyone here know of or recommend a machine shop that has the knowledge and capabilities to do reliable flathead work such as decking, boring, lapping, balancing etc...
Preferably in British Columbia but I would consider longer distance travel or shipping if it’s the “right” guy or shop.

Any leads or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Bill Boomer in Regina. He is a member on here but cannot remember his handle.

Custom Auto Rebuilding in Prince George, BC has done several. Has a buddies engine there as we speak. Their phone number is 250-962-2233. Ask for Mike Minnie.

They hot tank then magnaflux the blocks before any work begins. Given their reputation for cracks especially in the valve seat area.

Last edited:
Thank you PG409, Old Ray and 1kool52!

I will get in touch with both. I was initially thinking of getting the hot tank and magnaflux test done closer to me if I can so I know I have a viable block before sending it away.
Good to know that custom auto in PG offers this service as well.

Thanks again for the recommendations.
Cheers!

Flathead stuff

I have a bunch of stock flathead stuff
, block heads manifolds etc, in Kelowna

Fergie

I have a bunch of stock flathead stuff
, block heads manifolds etc, in Kelowna

Fergie

Hi Fergie,

Thanks for chiming in. I currently have two complete engines, one 8BA which was a runner and visually looked good when I pulled the heads. The other is a complete EAB engine out of a 52 or 53 truck, it turns over but I haven’t torn it down, could be a boat anchor.
What kind of blocks do you have? I could be interested in a 59A block, as well as a rebuidable generator. Always looking for 94 carbs too.

Let me know, cheers!

Hi there just had my flathead block , crank. etc, done by valley speed in Kamloops. Can't go wrong with there work.

I don't see why any of those operations would be any different on a flathead than any other V8 engine. Removing the head studs could be a challenge I suppose and, of course pouring babbit on the early ones. Otherwise it just seems like another V8 similar to any other regarding machine work. Is there something in particular that makes them different to do machine work on?. I know people in the 348/409 crowd talk about finding machine shops with experience with those particular blocks also but never understood why. Just curious.