F1 style 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe

Keyser79

What really sparked my interest in this build were some conceptual renderings done by Aaron Beck. There's one attached here, and a bunch more from different angles and in different colors on his website at http://www.aaronbeck.com/projects/f132. There's also a blog post where he gives some commentary on the concept.

f132_garage_sidequarter_low_01_3k.jpg

As of posting this, I'm currently in the research/planning/assessment stage and I haven't committed yet to building it, but thought it would be worth while to start a thread to share my thought process, information, and decisions. I've also reached out to Aaron to discuss the project, so hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with him.

The dream specs of this build are:
  • Fender-less / open wheel
  • Chromoly tube chassis
  • Mid-rear engine
  • Carbon fiber body work and aero

Thanks to the work done by the SVA of BC and anyone else involved in the fender-less initiatives, it looks like there should be no troubles running this car without fenders regardless of the altered status designation that I choose to pursue as long as it resembles a car from 1940 or earlier. My understanding is that my options for this build would be as follows. Also, I wouldn't be daily driving the car so I may as well go for the collector plates if possible.
  1. Modified/Modified Collector Vehicle - According to the inspection manual, Modified Collector cars can have a bumper height of 7-22” vs the 16-20” for all other cars. The vertical surface of the bumper doesn't need to be 4" and the overall width doesn't need to be the full track width as other cars require. The manual also allows for shaved exterior door handles and removable windshield wipers. The main challenge with this route is the requirement, "has the shell of body, coach or cab from the original manufactured vehicle" and vehicles are not eligible if they "...have had their body, coach or cab replaced with an aftermarket body, coach or cab". In order for this build to meet these requirements it looks like I would need to start with an original body. From there, maybe it's possible to modify it with dimple die holes, and incorporate these sections into the tube chassis that would later be covered with carbon fiber body work. The argument would be that these are modifications to the original body, not replacement of the original body, coach or cab.
  2. Replica/Constructed Collector Vehicle (I'm not sure if there is a non-collector route here?) - there are 2 possible sets of requirements for this route. The first is for a replica which requires the vehicle to "physically, functionally and mechanically resemble a 1942 or earlier model, eg) engine placement must be correct." If I go with a mid-rear engine layout, this would disqualify the build as a replica. The second possible set of requirement for a constructed vehicle requires the vehicle to "have been manufactured in 1942 or earlier" and "have had its original body replaced by a person who is not a manufacturer of motor vehicles ... and the replaced body resembles the original body of the motor vehicle." I believe my build could meet these requirements, but I'm not sure if all the other modifications are ok if I pursue this route - especially the frame replacement part. I believe I would still need a starter car to meet the 'manufactured' requirement even though none of it would be ultimately be used. Lights, reflectors, and seatbelt requirements would be equivalent to what was originally equipped for a 1932 Ford Coupe, but I wouldn't get the extra flexibility around bumpers, door handles, and windshield wipers that the modified collector option gives.
  3. Ubilt Vehicle - There's not much for special requirements for this route, the main consideration being that it wouldn't be considered as a 1932 vehicle, so lighting and safety equipment requirements would be to the year it gets registered, early registration isn't an option, and running fender-less is left a bit exposed to interpretation whether it 'resembles' a 1932 vehicle. The advantage here would be that I wouldn't need any vehicle to start from.

I'm leaning toward option 1, and if its possible to incorporate the original body as I described, it opens the possibility of using a Model A instead (probably easier to find) but still making it look like the '32. Also just to note, with either option 1 or 2 I would plan to add a performance seat and seat belts. I'm not sure what the requirements for these would be if it didn't originally come with belts. I think there are some DOT approved 4-point race harnesses out there, and hopefully using a performance seat won't be an issue. I guess this is where its handy to start building a relationship with an inspector.

This is one ambitious concept. And yes, you better build a relationship with a friendly inspection tech.

Looks like you are doing your homework and I am looking forward to your idea and will defiantly be following .

I do like the concept a bunch. And you're on the right track doing your research up front. While you're at it check that it will be legal to run at Area 27 and Bonneville. Dealing with the layout of a '32 or Model A I would lean more to a front aluminum engine with a Corvette trans-axle in the rear. I think this would give good weight distribution for handling.

Here's one of my favorite B-ville cars.
DSC01720.JPG

Last edited:
Certainly like the look!!
Well cept the the wings.
Mid/rear engine placement snd keeping the proportions of a hotrod,, theres a challenge!
Will certainly be following any build thread.
Fred

Brian, a guy down in the states built a car similar to this, think it ran a S2000 engine, I posted a youtube link somewhere on the forum here but I can't remember where lol. The car was pretty impressive. I'm sure you could find it with a quick YouTube search.

Brian, a guy down in the states built a car similar to this, think it ran a S2000 engine, I posted a youtube link somewhere on the forum here but I can't remember where lol. The car was pretty impressive. I'm sure you could find it with a quick YouTube search.
Ah yes, I meant to mention that one in the post. It was also inspired by the F132 concept. Its a 1930 Model A and uses some other S2000 components in addition to the engine. It's changed in appearance a few times with different owners. Here's one of the YouTube videos, and a write-up here.