Emission controls for Hot Rods and old cars

Danno

Since my first post on this has been buried in the archives, I figured I would post some newly found information I got today. Hopefully it will make a few of you do something about before our hobby vanishes.

Please read the following pages carefully, and pay particular attention to A 2a
It states that even though your pre-emission vehicle, has a pre-emission engine, it is up to the DISCRETION of the MOE officer whether to send you to a Drive Clean facility where you will have to pass 1980 specs. This means you will need CATS, EGR, EVAP....etc.....

This includes most here that has a car. Also take a look at the 4th page's last paragraph. "Crate" engines are deemed NOT roadworthy.
If you want to do something about this, walk over to your phone and complain to your MP.
Dan

doc1.jpg

doc2.jpg

doc3.jpg

doc4.jpg

Last edited:
My interp....
If you are spewing smoke as your driving along, then yes. They have a reason to stop you and question your setup, have your vehicle tested.

If you are driving along with no visable emissions, then they have no reason to pull you over. As the asterisk in A 2a states.

So if you have a pre-emission engine, that shows no smoke for more that 15 seconds in a 5 minute time period, there is absolutely nothing they can do. Keep a printed copy of this regulation with you, to shove in there face. :p ;)

My interp....
If you are spewing smoke as your driving along, then yes. They have a reason to stop you and question your setup, have your vehicle tested.

If you are driving along with no visable emissions, then they have no reason to pull you over. As the asterisk in A 2a states.

So if you have a pre-emission engine, that shows no smoke for more that 15 seconds in a 5 minute time period, there is absolutely nothing they can do. Keep a printed copy of this regulation with you, to shove in there face. :p ;)

If you are driving an older vehicle, they will, and they are pulling people over just to make sure you are not breaking any emission laws. If you're not, but you look at them in a funny way, they will interpret the law as they see it and fine you for one thing or another.

Been watching this saga with quite a bit of interest.

Wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what the 1980 Emission Standards are that have to be met if you are pulled over?

I figure if you guys in Ontario are going through this now and the guys in Vancouver have a similar requirement, it is only a matter of time before it hits Manitoba too.

Working on a 30 A coupe with a 1966 Buick engine. Engine has all the original emission bits and pieces, just relocated a bit. PVC in the valley pan and filtered breathers in the valve covers. Sure don't know where I would put anything else. Those As don't have a lot of extra space laying around unused.

Canuck

Hey Canuck;
Right of the bat they would frown on the "filtered" breather whether it was original or not. They want to see breathers tubed to the air cleaner. (easy enough to do) I know nothing about Buick engines, but the onus is on you to prove the year the engine was made.
The difficult part with proving the year, is that some engines used the same casting number for a number of years.

Easy to prove the engine is no newer than 66, last year that Buick produced the nailhead and serial number IDs it to year/model.

Curious as to how can they frown on the valve cover breathers not being ducted to the air cleaner? Original equipment on this engine in 66 was a filtered breather on one valve cover and a PCV on the other side. No exhaust manifold stove and ducting to the air cleaner, just a snorkel on the air cleaner. Point ignition and a Q-jet. Pretty basic back then.

The change that I have made is to move the PCV to the valley pan and install a filtered Offenhauser breather on each valve cover. Maybe I had better keep the old parts just in case :confused:

Thankfully don't have to worry about this yet, but, I know the winds of change are blowing.

Canuck

Well, it seems Ontario is going back to draconian times again and getting very anal about it.
Somebody at the top just doesn't understand what "crate" engines are about.

Anyways, I guess I will not move nor drive to Ontario with these laws coming into effect.

My '71 429 would not meet their criteria. I have a filtered breather whereas in stock form, that valve cover would be tubed to the snorkel on the stock air cleaner for a single 4 bbl.

That legislation seems crazy if you ask me. Apparently if the vehicle is older than '99, and the engine was replaced before 1999, the engine has to meet 1980 emission standards but if the engine was installed after 1999 then it has to meet the standards for the year the engine was manufactured. So a 1967 engine installed after 1999 would only have to meet 1967 standards? I find that hard to believe. Of course, by that same law a 2003 engine in that same vehicle would have to meet 2003 emissions standards. As far as cats and "ECE", vehicles manufactured before 1975 didn't have cats and vehicles made 1972-ish and earlier didn't have EGR valves.
In my case I've removed the factory air cleaners and stoves so I could use open style chrome air cleaners. My 390, which I believe to be a 1969 engine, has heads from a '74. The '74 heads had air injection ports for an air pump. I don't think my vehicle was equipped with an air pump from the factory. I removed the injection tube thingies from the heads and replaced them with bolts. I could be on the "Ten Most Wanted List" now for all I know. Anyway I found this and thought I'd post it.:)
http://www.sema.org/?q=node/3504

Last edited:
There will not be any good come of this...wont get any better but maybe we can halt the ridiculous changes and harrasment of the enforcers who are pulling anyone over now that they think they might be able to stick a fine too. The best we can do is stick together like Koolcbody link suggest with the boys from SEMA if they going to bat like they did in California. Cant hurt with Ontario being a cess pool of political bullshit and smoke so a handful with a "position" in the gov think they are doing thier job or at best a make work project.

just my 2 cents

Cheers Shane