DHC 2000/Henrobb welding torch

chriseakin

I saw Bob Bleed using one in a Mad Fabricators video, then found the company website. They've been around a few years under different names - Dillon and Harris are two names they've been manufactured under. They are oxy-acetylene welding torches, supposed to be easier to weld light metal with as well as using less gas than standard torches, also with pistol grip are supposed to be easier to use. Anybody out there with actual experience using one that could say whether there is any advantage to them or not?
Chris

Send Digger Dave a PM. He had one for sale last October in Calgary.

Torch is very good to weld with, I have played with it a little bit at MetalMeet in Jim Spradley's booth. The FIRST time I ever welded aluminum coupons, he had me set up and running beads immediately. I was able to play with holding the torch above the .063 aluminum coupons, and watch the weld pool quiver about the size of a dime, without having it fall out and make a hole. Very controllable. And if you want to use it to cut with, that's a whole other story, it will cut plate steel like butter.

Does he (Jim Spradley) have anything to do with Diversified Enterprises? I found that listed as the only Canadian Dealer on the Cobra Torches website.
Chris

Chris, The henrob torch is a great o/a torch. It is not a miracle worker like any tool it is only as good as the person using it. For most diy guys the mig is your best friend. o/a welding on body panels takes a lot of skill and a very good hammer technique. Most wire manufacturers now offer a mig wire that has a softer deposit and is easier to work.

I have used a Henrob for a few years and wouldn't go back to the old type, they even use less gas :) which saves a few dollars as well

Chris, sorry to be so late coming to your thread.

I have the original Dhillon (I think that's how it is spelled), bought it about 20 years ago maybe.

It uses lower pressures than your standard O/A torch, and noticeably less gas.

It is a very controllable unit and it's pretty easy to weld very thin metal with it without blowing holes.

Apparently, it used to be commonly used in industry.

The fellow that sold it to me had a massive amount of welding rod he threw in, and much of the aluminum rod I still have. Not sure how good it will be after all these years.

But if you have used standard O/A torches with success before, you'll love this one. Much easier to hold a small pistol grip torch than the standard handle type.

There's a new thread up "What is a Metalmeet?"

Click on the link and there are 75 pictures, a couple of which show the torch in question.