Chevelle Suspension Upgrade Suggeston Required

JOYRIDER

Hello All,

I'm considering upgrading my suspension for all the driving I wish to do this year.
Car is 1970 Chevelle Convertible, bone stock, drums all around. The car is a decent daily driver. My main concern is to have a safe, stable long distance ride.

What would be the most affordale, logical upgrade to apply?

I'm thinking of things such as;
- front disc brakes
- spindle kits
- new shocks/struts
- poly bushings
- front / rear sway bars
- all ball joints replaced
- all control arms replaced

A local shop will be performing all the work.
I will be buying new BFG Radials all around

My budget is under $2000 for the suspension

Thoughts and suggestions from all are appreciated

I would think you could put disc brakes on the front,rebush your existing control arms with urethane units(Like energy suspension)new ball joints,etc within your budget.Are the control arms baffed?-You could likely refurb what you have with new bushings.Just clean the parts up and detail them with a rattle can.For the disc brakes-use stock style calipers and rotors.ECI or Master power brakes (Or the auto recyclers) should have the brackets you require.Maybe one of the other members has done this swap and knows what chevy parts work with what.For a cruiser like you're talking about you can't beat everyday Napa stuff for availability,reliability and good value.
AA

I love those suggestions...thx for the tips.
I'll buy ya' a beer ...or tank of gas (if u dont drink) with the $ I save.

Robert

Magoo38 say's

I have a 66 chevelle and if you get your hands in a Interchange Manual form a GM Dealer it will help alot.

I used a 70/71 Monte Carlo front disk brake set up and it bolted right on. Grab the spindles, booster, proportioning valve and caliper plates. Buy new Rotors and Calipers and rubber brake hoses (you will need longer ones) and you will be all set. Make sure to use the "Proportioning Valve from the Monte" as it is set to work properly for you GM.:cool:

PS install new bearings as its cheap insurance. Should cost less than $300 for the brakes and $50 for the new rubber brake hoses.

Hope this helps!

Magoo38

Last edited:
Magoo has it nailed as far as brakes, Any Chevelle etc up to 72. Camaro also fits if you keep your drag link arms, a easy swap. Most of these parts are available from your local parts house (NAPA, Piston Ring). Drum spindles can be modified by machining the support boss down and re-tapping. Will require a different or modified mount for the brake cable to frame.

Steering can utilize a box from a fast ratio Camaro to speed up the steering.

Front sway bar can be replaced with a 1 1/8 one from a Z-28 Camero.

Rear sway bar, 7/8, can be source from 70s to early 80s Monte/Grand Prix etc., may require drilling your lower control arms and inserting a anti crush. Measurements and parts from the donor.

Some good quality gas shocks.

Control arm bushings can be replaced, the control arms do not have to be replaced.

These all work good, have been running this set up on my 64 for about 10 years, except the disks, just did them a couple of years ago.:D