Cannot track down this vibration.

cocobolo

Good evening all, it's been awhile. Have a thorny problem on Val's 2002 Honda CRV. Running out of ideas. As soon as the car moves, there is a right to left/left to right movement probably from the front end. We've changed both CV axles in the front, brand new brakes and tires - just a couple of months old now. Changed the two front motor mounts and both old ones still looked fine. At light throttle or no throttle down hill it basically goes away. The vibration is faster commensurate with speed. It is possible to get it up to about 80 k's with very light throttle if you're careful. Hit the gas and it's there right away. This suggests CV axles, but they are both new. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

So not rpm related? Rotational. Seized brake caliper pin, wheel bearings. Does the right side half shaft have the torque equilizer bearing new?
Bent wheel,,,
Those are my guesses,,,

is it AWD ? Driveshaft would be suspect with their rubber hanger bearing. Sell lots of them !! The right to left issue sounds like crap tie rods inners or outters on rack? IMO

Cheers Shane

So not rpm related? Rotational. Seized brake caliper pin, wheel bearings. Does the right side half shaft have the torque equilizer bearing new?
Bent wheel,,,
Those are my guesses,,,
We pretty much guessed the same as you di. All the brakes are new, rotors, pads and callipers. Both front CV axles new. But we are going to check all four wheels to see if there is anything amiss there, which we were brainstorming about last night. We do have wheel balancing equipent, which might help us narrow this down. Thanks for your reply.

is it AWD ? Driveshaft would be suspect with their rubber hanger bearing. Sell lots of them !! The right to left issue sounds like crap tie rods inners or outters on rack? IMO

Cheers Shane
Yes, it is AWD. Did have a look at the two piece driveshaft yesterday, nothing looked especially odd. But Steve is going to have a chat with Pat's Driveline down at the coast for his opinion. Thanks for the reply.

So….Cocobolo. What have you been up to?
Hi Keith, how many chapters would you like to hear? What with the forest fires and all it has been somewhat exciting this year. Closest fire to us was about 600 metres up the side of the mountain here. We got the boot. But the poor folks in Celista and Scotch Creek weren't so lucky. I expect that you've seen most of the news reports when it was happening. The fires went through there so quickly it was impossible to believe our eyes. It was worse here than down in Kelowna where our esteemed PM made a visit.

Were you directly threatened by the fires where you are? I sure hope not, I tell you it's no laughing matter.

I was well aware of your situation. I am retired from our volunteer fire hall but my wife is still a first responder at the hall. We have two sprinkler protection trailers which are deployed frequently. I am on a regional district committee as to our hall finances and operation.
we had lots of fires nearby but not as close as your dangerous situation. I am glad all is well with you.

When you pull the wheels put the lugs back on and run it on stands to make sure the rotors etc rotate true.

I'm afraid I don't have the answer other than the obvious, wheel bearings, rod ends, etc. However the other way would be to trade it in, say, for a '65 Chevelle 300 with a 327 and 4 gear. They are simple enough that any of us can diagnose problems and fix same. And they're fun to drive.

Welcome back here Keith.

It's fixed. But somewhat hard to believe all the shenanigans that Steve went through.

It has very recently had two front CV axles on the drivers' side and one on the passenger side replaced. Obviously something still wasn't right. Raised the front of the car just off the ground with the hoist, removed the front wheels, took the driveshaft out, and idled the car in gear. I watched a video of the passenger CV axle rotate slowly in an oval pattern. Couldn't believe it. It also had three distinct clicks every rotation. Eventually discovered that when the axle is being replaced, should you let it fall down while you are grabbing the hub, that may be enough to cause this problem. Steve put new ones in both sides - again - very carefully of course, and the problem has vanished.

Also found one wheel way out of balance, and yet Kal tire put all 4 new tires on and balanced them about two months ago. That wasn't the trouble. So he switched the unbalanced tire from that rim to the spare tire rim anyway and balanced it, as the rim appeared to be the problem. The spare has never been used on the car. Glad to see the end of this issue.

I'm afraid I don't have the answer other than the obvious, wheel bearings, rod ends, etc. However the other way would be to trade it in, say, for a '65 Chevelle 300 with a 327 and 4 gear. They are simple enough that any of us can diagnose problems and fix same. And they're fun to drive.

Welcome back here Keith.
Well now, my very first new car was a '65 Chevelle 327 Muncie M-22 4 speed. Only other options were a radio and backup lights. Lights were a $10 option that year.