backfire

Resetting valve lash is never a good sign for a new engine. Usually once there set there good. If your gaining lash I'd check for a wiped out cam lobe.

Resetting valve lash is never a good sign for a new engine. Usually once there set there good. If your gaining lash I'd check for a wiped out cam lobe.

Now you're assuming that the lash was correct in the first place. It's easy to get it less than perfect when the motor is going together. It's one of those things that the experience of doing it a couple of times really helps.

Sounds like this is a new build, and a lobe shouldn't be going flat that quickly. A good time to ensure that the new motor has high zinc oil in it.

I was making the comment based on post #8. Hopefully that isn't the problem but it's easy enough to rule out by pulling the valve covers and checking lift at the rocker.

I was making the comment based on post #8. Hopefully that isn't the problem but it's easy enough to rule out by pulling the valve covers and checking lift at the rocker.

Agreed. But he seems to have fixed whatever it was now. Just waiting for photos.

....this is what 20 minutes can do..................ask me how I know this?

Haha Ray, I got some wall art like that too! The BBC ate the number one lobes in my Gasser a few years ago...less than 200 km grrrrr! All better now though.
I would suggest a good Lookie-Lou and find your 'leak' or adjustments needed. I would dump the oil to check for shiny bits as a second check after vacuum checks.
Good luck.
Greg

Any cam I break in now I remove the inner coil or use worn out springs. It's also very important that your not cranking the engine over and over trying get it started, it has to light off right away, and of coarse use the right oil.