Alberta registration

Don’t know, sorry no Alberta experience, but one of the experts will be along shortly, …..it’s not going to be easy, but there is very GOOD news, ………your not in British Columbia. :mad:

Give me a call sometime and we can chat about it or if you want to grab a coffee one morning in Calgary
Bob
403six5zero4012

If one googles "Alberta Assigned VIN program", all sorts of info comes up.

Directly from the Alberta Govt, note the phone numbers at the bottom as well as a link to the application form:
Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Program
Under the Traffic Safety Act a person is required to have an official vehicle identification number affixed to a vehicle that has its manufacturer's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) lost or obliterated, a home made trailer or an amalgamated vehicle.
The Alberta assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) program has a unique identifier of 2AT which has been approved by the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers' Association. No vehicle manufacturers or other jurisdictions can use this identifier in the first three digits.

This 17-digit numbering system is compatible with international VIN convention. It will help stop auto theft and insurance fraud, and also assist in the identification of recovered stolen vehicles.

It will also stop the registration of vehicles and trailers using non-repairable components. These vehicles do not qualify for an approved VIN.

Alberta's Vehicle Identification Number will reduce the number of vehicle and trailer thefts by cross referencing vehicle registration information across North America and with the Canadian Police Information Centre.

The cost for a single axle trailer is $105 ($100 + $5 GST) and $467.25 ($445 + $22.25 GST) for other vehicles. This fee covers the labour costs to examine the vehicle, confirm sources of parts to ensure they meet the requirements for VIN assignment, and to put the VIN plate on the vehicle. Included in the price is the cost of equipment and materials such as engravers, plates, and travel.

A database will be created containing personal and non-personal information. This database will be a valuable tool for law enforcement agencies and investigative bodies for the investigation of auto related crimes.

The department has information sharing agreements with the police authority and the Insurance Crime Prevention Bureau in place, in accordance with Alberta and federal privacy legislation.

The Insurance Bureau of Canada, the service provider, will be available by appointment to administer the VIN program. In Calgary call (403) 258-3677, toll free at 1-866-263-6240 or visit http://www.ibc.ca/ for the VIN application form.

For additional information phone 427-8901 in Edmonton or toll free 310-0000.

A link to the actual program:
www.ibc.ca/en/.../Prevention_Investigation/Alberta_ReVINing.asp Cached

Last edited:
Call me first..save a lot of time and heartache.
Bob

Aw, what's wrong, can't tell the rest of the world about these time saving tips and heartaches.

After all, this is a resource category. for this kind of info. Impart your knowledge.

Others may want to know instead of asking the same questions.

It's something I've done 4 times and don't need to share it with the masses...if you can't understand what I've just said then google it...now be a good boy and stop being such a smart arse.
Mike,can I apologize for this thread derailing and can say it's not a common thing but I'm of the opinion that not everything should be broadcast on the internet and have no need to prove myself by posting for no reason.
Assigned vin can cause issues with the build and is not the way to move forward.
There are several people on this and other forums that have successfully registered and drive their rods in Alberta quite easily without the hassles of having to ' modernize' them.

Last edited:
I've been doing the hot rod thing since 1966 in the province of Alberta, been through lots of inspections, registrations. My advice to anyone registering a vehicle is to be as legal as can be. Insurance company's don't like to part with their money so be extremely diligent that your serial numbers are correct. If your prepared the process is easy and straight forward. Good luck.