A little bit new for a "Roddder" Forum, but......

James__WC

Supporting Member
....the only metalwork I have any pics of kicking around.....

I had to get into the Waaaaaay-back machine for this, because apparently the metalshapers.org site, where this was originally posted is no longer??

But managed to find a cached version....

The link below shows a wheelwell stretch I did on a friends Mustang racecar, and it even shocked me when I looked at the date, but this was fourteen years ago....

https://web.archive.org/web/2012010...pers.org:80/101/mustang-wheelwell/index.shtml

**If you click on the numbered thumnails, they open full size, and have captions under them....then directly above the pic, there will be fwd/back arrows to get to the next (or last) pic.

James

Last edited:
Neil: I'm not sure why, but that first url wasn't getting it done, so I went back to the page, copied & pasted, and it's working (for now?)
That webarchive is handy, and I got a pop up a couple time, as they're doing their yearly solicitation for funds, sadly, I'm not in a position at the moment to contribute, but I likely will in the future, as they have saved a lot of good info that would otherwise have been lost.

James

Neil: Thanks, between the WW stretch on the Mustang,and doing a 5" Stretch & ~1-3'4" raise on the wheelwells on my lil bro's Chevy II, I got to learn how to use my shrinking disc, not to mention the use of the tig. Luckily, both Steve & my bro had the same unit (Miller 250 Synchrowave).

Yeah wish I had one.. but then I probably couldn't weld with it anyway.. no hand, eye, foot co-ordination! lol I have tried before and it wasn't pretty to say the least I would need a ton of practice and even then not sure?

Neil: I have seen pics of guys working on race cars, curled up in the fetal position with a foot pedal between their knees......and I say WTF??
I have not, nor do I intend to, take YOGA just to be able to weld......so I took the easy way out and bought a hand amptrol from arczone.com :):) CK worlwide also has some nice stuff.
** My bro had the Miller one for his synchrowave, but it didn't like being anywhere near any grinding residue, would get into the control, and give big grief. The aftermarket ones seem to be less of a problem, at least the one on my Lincoln 175 Squarewave has not had ANY issues thus far.

***if you can already gas weld, in twenty minutes, you can be a tig welder!!

James

Nice work James! Miller's synchrowave's are nice machines, I have used many. I am partial to the Dyansty 200 though, a ton of great hidden features and just a wonderful GTAW welder. I know that feeling many times of having been in many fetal positions with the foot pedal tucked between my knees.......lol

Dean: Yah, the newer inverter welders are pretty amazing, Steve long since passed his Synchrowave on for the BIG Dynasy, because he does lots of really thick aluminum. I haven't had a chance to play with one, but all the settings can be helpful, if you understand what impact they have.Otherwise they can make things a PITA:)
But the cleaning, pulse, etc are all pretty useful, especially pulse on light material....

James

The 350 Dynasty is just crazy good! All the settings like pulse etc really only matter like you said if you understand what peak and background settings really do.

Everyone seems to think a pulse will give you that nice stack of nickels look on a bead but that's handskill not the pulse. LOL

I've taught a lot of people to GTAW weld over the years and sometimes when I teach the pulse I'll use a metronome to help get the dip and forward movement right while they learn. Most people try and dip and move at the same time and it's always a train wreck.

Peak and background current are great features and pulses per second I find is up to the welders preference, the same goes with AC balance and frequency for aluminum.

I've welded 1/16" stainless at 150 amps with 400 pulses a second with no carbide precipitation or sugaring and wonderful colors with a good post flow, only problem I had was I almost had a seizure watching that super fast pulse, it was like a strobe light.....lol

Last edited:
Dean: Check out the method one of the lads on metalmeet uses to weld on patch panels, pretty wild, and not everyone has the skill, but the results speak for themselves, check out the "after" pic of the joint where he welded the lower half of a door skin on, just about no distortion!!

Big amps (120-140), small tungsten (1/16"), FAST travel speed (he mentions the total time/distance in there somewhere, I think 48" in 2.5 minutes)

James

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6292

Awesome stuff! I like to think I know a thing or two about this and that, but today I learned there's so much I don't know about welding. ;)

Well, I (currently) have nothing to post, although I am slowly working on a build thread for my (off topic) 1979 Mustang, so thought I would regurgitate this, as the link in post #1 shows some metalwork I did on a friends Mustang racecar back in'01,'02,'03??

Well I came back on to read your initial tutorial on the process on your bud’s car. Nice work indeed and good explanations. More pls……..