62 Ford Unibody Roof swap to big back window.

Not a lot to report. A whole bunch of little stuff that I've been working the bugs out of.
I did get the out of province safety done a couple weeks ago, and I don't want to say too much about that procedure as most of what I have to say isn't very positive about the place I had it done. In all fairness, I did have one rear brake with the leading shoe backwards. They were very fair about it all, but all I got was a snide attitude about everything on my front suspension.

It was all good and tight, but the rubbers were cracked. So I ordered a complete front end rebuild kit from the U.K., on a Tuesday evening, and it was in Calgary at DHL on Friday afternoon, but I didn't get the stuff till Monday. Cost me about 212 dollars Canadian landed on my doorstep for all the front end parts, including upper and lower balljoints. Also got urethane steering rack bushings.

When I took it back, the front end guy asks with attitude how I'm going to drive the truck down the road with no front end adjustments available. I literally had to take him and show him how to do his job. Whilst I showed him how to adjust the camber and caster, I gave him several reasons why this Jag IFS is way way better than a cobbled together Pinto front end.

Upper and lower control arms are forged steel, compared to stamped tin.
Steering rack is rear mounted just like God and NASCAR intended it to be.
Steering rack mounts are part of the crossmember so you have to try really hard to get some bump steer when you install it.
Jag IFS is designed for a 4500 lb car, and my truck only weighs 3500 lbs, so I didn't want a suspension in it that was designed for a 2500 lb. car.

When I picked the truck up later, he actually stated that yes, the shims to adjust the caster are very simple to change.

It is now insured and licenced.

Nasty squealing coming from serpentine belt system, so I bought a Saginaw power steering pump from a wrecker in Kansas. Installed it, as well as the idler puller. Still squealing, and I didn't notice the end play on the water pump is excessive, so I have another to install tomorrow.

Runs much better with the bigger fuel pump. Regulator is pinned wide open at 7.5 psi, and it runs good till it starts to pick up some steam, then falls on its face sometimes, like it's still running out of fuel. More tuning issues to resolve.

Still have a driveline vibration, but I think I'll pull the transmission first and rebuild it. As well as having the driveshaft balanced. I had it built by a pro shop here in town, and the guy said it wouldn't need to be balanced. Lloyd had a good laugh when I told him that. It will be on his balancer in the near future.

John: Great that you're slowly getting the bugs worked out, when spring rolls around, you'll be all set to go, and will be ready to hit as many show & shines as you care to, in between bouts of driving the wheels off it!!

Wow, that sure turned out nice. Would that 'red merc' that supplied parts be from the Ponoka auction?

Very nice and well thought out build, good on you a nice job. It is a common thing out here for guys to fit a Jag front end into F 100 trucks. A friend has another Jag to wreck out and maybe use the front end in his International.

Wow, that sure turned out nice. Would that 'red merc' that supplied parts be from the Ponoka auction?

mk1: I'm the one that sent John the link for the Auction. IIRC, the auction that the Uni donor was in was out around Bashaw, but it's been awhile:)
At some point, John will check in, and he'll set me right if I've misspoken:)

James

You're right, it was bashaw. I'd known of the truck for years and hoped to do something with it but when the auction came up, I wasn't able to grab it. The auction listing showed just an 'old Ford truck' with no description so I made sure it was known about on the fte and fordification boards. And John nailed it. Nice to have a small part in this.
As an aside, some of the older guys may remember that AMT made kits of the '61-'63 unibodys about sixty years ago... they are now reissuing the '63 in 1/25 scale. They will be hitting the hobby shops any time now.

DSCN0433.JPG.9d753ddf9407c1912f5d29dcde81b1f7.JPG

One original I've been picking away at...
DSCN0436(2).JPG.cbb53f7d34c090e420eacb0d7d489e91.JPG

MK: It took a bit of digging, but I found your post about the Merc Uni BBW, link is below:

**And when I originally sent the link to John, it was because he had told me that there was a Really nice red & white Uni @ one of the swaps in Lethbridge (can't say how long ago that was, but would have been prior to you posting the Merc in the auction), so when you posted about the Merc, I figured it might be something John would be interested in. Anyways, he bid online and won, and for less $$ than I've seen a couple of '61 Mercury truck grilles go for:) It was originally going to be repaired and put back on the road, but when someone gave him a lead on a SWB Uni, it suddely became a donor:)
Anyways, the rest is all documented on here, see the preceding pages of this post, as well as the Merc Tailgate Post (in link below)........

James