'42 - '48 Chev / Pontiac / Olds front fender extensions.

GFaRT

Supporting Member
Looking for a pair of front fender door extensions, like the photo. Please reply to this thread if you have any for sale.
RMuyOD2.jpg

Are they just a bolt on item?..thought it was part of the door...Im in the states now and there is a few places around here with cars that I’m going to next week.....will see if they have anything..

Yes they're bolted on the doors. But hey, don't go nuts trying to find them, that's my job. I'm hoping to find them around here. It's not urgent as the car has good ones on it, I just wanted a couple more for customizing modification. The rear edge is vertical and I want to try sloping it forward to match the slope of the B pillar. Thanks for thinking of me.

The good news is that they are not for sale, they are free.
Are a 4 door (know as a sedan except in Ontario) and a coupe or a two door sedan the same? (your job)

The bad news, they have one big dent each and I will not ship, you can have them with the doors or take them off here while I watch.

1946 car doors.jpg

Wow, that was quick. Looks like those will do for what I want as I'm cutting them up anyway. If they don't turn up here, I'll see when I can get over there. We're due for a little junket anyway. Thanks for this.

I've always referred to them as 'Door caps' and not 'fender extensions'.;) Same thing, glad you were able to locate them, some minor body work and you're done. I happened to look at my mounting hardware the other day and these were attached via self tapping bolts into the door skin, the bolts used a special shaped large flat washer to secure them. My car didn't have any binding behind the cap similar to rear fenders so I gather they bolted directly to door shell without binding?

Just so you know they are not all created equal. I assume in Canada the Chevy and Pontiac ones are the same, but in the US the pontiac ones are longer than a Chevy, and the Olds are longer yet.

Another trick, the 47 Olds model 66 and 68 rear fenders bolt on to a Chevy body and are 2" wider. You do have to modify the gas filler to make it work, unless you use an Olds tank.

Last edited:
Well there you go. I would have assumed that they would have been the same by year model. I know that coupe are different to sedan anyway.

My reason for wanting them is to have some extra material the relatively correct shape to extend some areas if I modify (customize) mine. The idea is to change the vertical rear face to slope forward to match the forward slope of the B pillar. I also want to extend the rear fenders with the same slope and incorporate the '49 Buick taillights. I think this will make the car look more coordinated.

Old Ray has a pair that would serve my purpose. I'm not in a hurry here, so if I can't find them around here, I'll go see Ray when conditions are better.