3-on-the-tree overdrive

kevedo

Does anyone know how a '50's Dodge 3/tree with an overdrive works? I have one that I'd like to rebuild and install into my Plymouth, but I'm not sure how the OD solenoid is supposed to work. Memory seems to think that you have to engage the OD via cable and flip the throttle to engage it??? Am I ringing any hearing aids out there? Thanks.

...here's how the 51 Meteor OD worked if that's any help ... I used to pull the cable to engage .. the trans were speed sensitive so overdrive wouldn't engage in low gear but worked well in 2nd and 3rd ... push throttle to floor to disengage or kickdown and let off to engage overdrive :D

If you can wait a month this is my last step to get my Plymouth on the road. I did the O.D. rebuild and install and I have some notes from the Plymouth forum...p15-d23 from a guy named Blueskies. He did the conversion and had a write up. I can't tell you how to drive it yet.....I will need instruction also but the wiring is next on my fall to do list.

...here's how the 51 Meteor OD worked if that's any help ... I used to pull the cable to engage .. the trans were speed sensitive so overdrive wouldn't engage in low gear but worked well in 2nd and 3rd ... push throttle to floor to disengage or kickdown and let off to engage overdrive :D

Well, that's almost correct. Overdrive will engage in 1st gear as long as you're travelling 28mph or higher. Put one in my 55 Ford waaaayy back when. 1st gear to 30mph, shift to 2nd, and floor it to disengage, then let off to engage, and do same in 3rd. So you actually have a 6 speed

If you can wait a month this is my last step to get my Plymouth on the road. I did the O.D. rebuild and install and I have some notes from the Plymouth forum...p15-d23 from a guy named Blueskies. He did the conversion and had a write up. I can't tell you how to drive it yet.....I will need instruction also but the wiring is next on my fall to do list.

Awesome. I'll check out Blueskies. I'll let you know how it all works out. I won't be tackling the swap for a while. I need to pull the trans anyways to deal with the rear main seal. It'll get done then. Thanks.

The Borg and Warner overdrive unit bolts to the rear of the 3 speed case I think they are R10, or R7. Unsure of the difference. The 3 speed gear case isn't the same for an OD unit so you just can't bolt the OD to a 3 speed case, there is a hole in the gear box for, if I remember, a shaft. Another thing that is cool is the driveshafts are all the same .... Having said that, my spare that I took from the Dodge Cranbrook (the overdrive donor car) is 2 inches too short for my Plymouth.

Well, that's almost correct. Overdrive will engage in 1st gear as long as you're travelling 28mph or higher. Put one in my 55 Ford waaaayy back when. 1st gear to 30mph, shift to 2nd, and floor it to disengage, then let off to engage, and do same in 3rd. So you actually have a 6 speed

... my meteor rag wouldn't go that fast in low hahaha ... how are you doing anyway Big Guy? ... coming with us next year ??

Did you get the overdrive to work for you ?
I got mine to work after much more work than I thought but ohhhh does it work nice.