1969/70 Prototype Mustang

The 72 I/S Mustang would be a 351 Cleveland or a 351 CJ ? There are still a few guys running these cars running today. Dean Cook comes to mind.

That one was a Cleveland. I had asked Tony for years to send me a picture of the car, finally got one from Bill Bozgan who bought the Mustang from Tony after he quit racing and put it back on the street. Lots of good stories on that one coming out in Dougs new book.

A bit off topic, but I have seen posts of one of Tonys Wheel City Fairlanes that went somewhere in BC. Anybody know if it's still around?

ratrig: I don't know if you have seen this resource? Over 1 million pictures here. many from back in the day. If you are looking for early drag racing stuff head over here. Get a coffee or beverage of choice, a comfortable chair and a few hours. Some amazing stuff!!

Digressing, does anyone recall this prototype? The engine is rare however not too many would know of this prototype rear engine configuration Boss 429 built by Kar Kraft. Where is it today, does it still exist? It seems to have vanished and not officially scrapped.
So what was the fate of the lone mid-engine Boss 429? According to a short article in the December 1970 issue of Motor Trend, at that point it was awaiting its appointment with the crusher at a Detroit-area salvage yard. Since the unique Mustang hasn’t been seen since, we presume that’s where this story ends.

UPDATE — Well, that’s where the story ended when we first published it in May of 2015. But since then, we’ve received some very interesting info from multiple and highly credible sources who worked at Ford at the time. Not so fast, the insiders tell us: There’s an excellent chance the LID Mustang wasn’t destroyed. In fact, they doubt that happened at all.

Here’s what’s known for sure: After its test program was completed, the car was sent to a fenced-in bullpen at of the Dearborn Proving Grounds, and there it sat with some other discarded test mules as the months stretched into a year or more. From there the Mustang was supposed to be sent to the shredder but instead, our moles assert, the car simply disappeared one day—poof. So we shouldn’t be surprised, they say, if the one-of-a-kind Mustang has simply been sitting in a private garage somewhere in Dearborn or Allen Park for the past 40-odd years, and one day it reappears. We’ll be looking forward to that day.

It looks like the red car outside in the yard going by those goofy rear wheels; @ 0.51, 3.52, 4.05, 4.36 and 5.07. A few other unseen, by me, OT Ford prototypes as well. That empty Mustang engine bay looks ridiculous with NO engine whatsoever (@5.07), just a huge gaping hole!

There has been much speculation on this one through the years and I for one will never say 'it doesn't exist'. LOTS of stuff happened at Ford that may never see the light of day or be admitted to even all these years later and 'stuff' seems to keep appearing. I know a second engine cradle had been found some time ago, but I have seen nothing new on the car itself. Just a side note, some involved with the program called it a death trap, very poor handling. The mid engine configuration should have helped but apparently not?

Not sure if you've seen this paperwork for the $1.00 contract cars from Ford. Very impressive list for sure.

NpnKdlN.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, have seen it. That is most of the who's who of the factory supported guys. Here are some vin numbers just in case you guys come across a dusty one stuck in the back of some garage.

Factory_Ford_Drag_list.jpg

1969 Thunderbird? I wonder what the story is on that. The Tasca Super Boss must have been the one the turned into a street racer using the 494 Can-Am engine. I see some of those Boss 429 cars were already getting built /modified for the new Pro-Stock class with a Maverick to boot.

Somewhere I have a list of the Ford contract 1964 Thunderbolt cars and drivers with the vin#'s. They all started off as as K-code cars, now there's a list of drivers!

Have you ever heard of a driver named Charlie Neeley?

I have the Boss 429 Book by, IIRC, Steven Strange, circa 1983 0r 84?? I think I've moved four of five times since I last held it in my hands:(
IIRC, there were supposed to have been TWO Mercury Cougar Eliminators produced with Boss 429 engines, but there has been no trace of them for eons, so they've either been destroyed or are stashed away somewhere, (hopefully a dry place:)
Almost makes a guy wonder if they didn't end up in Mexico. There are plenty of poor people there, but Mexico City used to have the highest per capita number of millionaires of almost anywhere, and there have been a few magazine articles about some of the collections down there. If they ever do turn up and are complete and not ravaged by tinworms, they will likely be seven figure cars......

James

I believe the Thunderbird given to Mickey was explained by a Ford insider as simply moving assets around, wasn't really a race car. Ford used to 'support' racers in any ways they could. Just for example, Tony has told me the story that in the late 60's some of the racers were getting into accidents involving their trailers so Ford wanted everyone to move to ramp trucks, long story short, Hubert was getting a new clinic rig so Tony would get his old ramp truck. Hubert got a couple complete CJ's and a cammer for the deal.

I think I have seen that name, did he run a Thunderbolt in the early days?

Yes, Ford did a few things with the Boss 429's which is amazing when the real purpose was to get the motor legal for NASCAR. I for one again wouldn't say of these cars 'it doesn't still exist'. Some still do! I know there are a lot of Boss9 books out there but the Kar Kraft one is supposed to have more info on the prototype stuff?

It was either me or my sister took this photo at Lions in 70-71. This is the guy I was mentioning, it does look like he may have had some sponsorship or part sponsorship of some sort. It's definitely a Boss 429 in S/S but before Pro-stock. Oh, those were the days!

eFr8vNO.jpg

rmk57, can't say I have ever seen that car before. Kind of weird as it has S/S on rear window but wheely bars, parachute and big hood scoop wouldn't have been allowed in SS? Looks like more tire than would have been allowed in SS in 70/71 as well. More like what the early Pro Stock guys were doing. Did a quick google and says Pro Stock started in 1970 so maybe just incorrect markings? If I remember correctly, Boss9's fit in SS/B or A/S and because of lack of performance parts never did very well, did much better in Pro Stock as more modifications were allowed that could unlock those big heads. Will try to do a little research on him, thanks for posting.

Maybe some of the mystery solved, AHRA called their version of Pro Stock Super Stock in the early years. Could this have been an AHRA race?

Lions Drag Strip was an AHRA sanctioned track and that is very good detective work. Something you never really think about when your 13 years old snapping pictures at a racetrack.

Yes, the old Boss had a tough time in SS or S or even P/S. I think Nicholson and Schartman even went back to the Cammer to be competitive. Ford did pull the plug on racing in late 1970 so not really any progress with that engine until Glidden, Arias, Root in the 80's.

Somewhere in my photos I have a crappy shot of Ohio George in his twin turbo Boss 429 at the same event. He had it figured out, that car was an absolute terror in the gas class.

Mystery solved and I learned something besides. I never knew much about AHRA as our track was always NHRA sanctioned until recently. It's too bad about the Boss9, had a chance to buy 2 but after the 'poor' test drive I passed, sure wanted it when the hood was opened though! Yes, they even had a tough time in Pro Stock, as you said many went to a cammer. I think one that did the best early on with the Boss9 was Dave Lyall, got to meet him as he worked for Holbrook when I was dealing with him. On a side note, I was able to find Charlie Neely listed on Draglist.com with the Mustang, says he ran 10.51 @ 132 in 71 at Lyons. I think Grump was running in the high 9's by then so needless to say not competitive.

Last edited: