1961 Volvo PV544

I guess that's an inside joke , or possibly just over my head . lol

Frank, not wanting to hijack your build but Rik Hoving, a custom car guru in Holland, posted some digital restylings of a Volvo PV544 on Instagram this morning so I thought they might be interesting to post on an actual build thread of a Volvo PV544. Hope you don't mind and feel free to take them down if they don't belong.
PV544 1.jpg

PV544 3.jpg

PV544 4.jpg

I worked with a lady several years back who had a Volvo 544 that she commuted in year round (to Calgary) from their acreage - at that time, it had over 500,000 miles on it (not KM), surprisingly minimal corrosion, and was still going strong as a daily driver. She and her husband did all the work on it, and those twin SU's were balanced perfectly - it idled like a (Swedish?) watch. :giggle:

Looks like a really fun project, and a good foundation based on the pictures. It will be interesting to see your take on it! (y)

Hot Rodding a 1961 Volvo PV544

Part 2 - The Underside - As Arrived

The coil spring spacers shown in the rear end shots are obviously not stock. Other than that, everything shown is stock. Note: These are Dana/Spicer diffs (like Jeep).

I've included five photos here. There are eight more HERE.

NOTE: If you follow the link to the additional photos, you'll note that someone did a partial restoration on the front end.

update2 (1).jpg
update2 (2).jpg
update2 (3).jpg
update2 (4).jpg
update2 (5).jpg

Last edited:
Partial you say....looks like the complete front end.

Keeping it or?
Brian, the front side (not shown) would show the steering side of things hadn’t been done. As for keeping it, give me a few updates to reveal how things shook out.

Love the old 544's. I've got two in my yard right now, and, I will list them in the "for sale" section of this site